Sunday, March 1, 2009

REPAIRING THE OLD QUILT..



This is the old quilt that I have started to fix not restore as the sashing is just too thin to keep or repair.
I have taken most of the blocks that could be saved apart and kept the others for piecing if need be of the kept blocks.

Here is my delemna, because these squares are 40 yrs old and much used and loved, I wonder if I fused them onto a muslin fabric if that would strenghten the block? You think it would?

The pattern is quite simple, and I am able to piece those squares that have possibilities. I think I will end up with 12-16 squares. One of them I would like to put in a frame for my aunt and uncle to keep. I saw that somewhere while searching for a remedy to the quilt.

The batting was virtually gone from the inside, it was all in strips and I will put new batting, new sashings, and match the back to the sashings. The colour now is pale yellow which
I suspect was a muslin fabric due to the look of it. It certainly
must have been a bit brighter in its day, but I can't find a yellow
to even come close, and creamy white is not an option either.
So I have a small green and cream checked fabric which I think
will just do the quilt and look really good.

I had this batting and backing all over the family room this
morning and my sweetie just got the vacuum out! He admired
my patience, considering that my grandmother who did this
quilt used "scant" 1/4" and I mean "scant". I hope I can do
the blocks justice after I remove all the sashings and repair
the blocks.

So, what do you think, fuse the blocks? Can I then quilt
the block by machine? Should I stipple the quilt to strengthen
the fabric? Would stippling do that anyway?

I did take a square to a couple of shops to get an
idea of colour and the green that I chose really looks good with the blocks even though you see so much red with light blue, but each block has a soft green in it. It doesn't show so much in photos here, but it is there.

5 comments :

Susan In Texas said...

I wouldn't permanently fuse anything to the blocks. I would be afraid that it would change the "hand" of the quilt too much. I would use the June Tailor basting spray to fuse the top to a muslin backing, then make the new quilt sandwich with the doubled top layer. Certainly the muslin will strengthen the top and stippling will make it MUCH sturdier too. A gentle wash would rinse out all the basting spray when you're all done with your repairs, leaving a sturdier, but still soft quilt.

Happy quilting,
Susan
http://www.susanintexas.blogspot.com
gentle_poster@charter.net

YankeeQuilter said...

It all comes down to what you want to do with the quilt. If this is going to be used then I would stay away from fusing. I'm also not a big fan of the basting spray. (what a nay sayer....)

I would go ahead and sew these blocks together using a good quality cotton. I generally stay away from densely quilting vintage or worn fabrics. It may seem like the stippling would make it stronger but each time you go through the fabric you are also weakening it. Handquilting is much more gentle...

Good luck!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

there is a very, very light fusible called "shades soft fuse" it is so light you barely even know it is there I have hand appliqued through it without using a thimble. here is a link http://www.shadestextiles.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=STBSM&Category_Code=16-VMF
I do not know the condition of the fabric though and if it were me I would be doing all hand work :) but that is me and I know you have said you are not real experienced with the hand work. It is just with fabric so fragile it is hard to judge what can be done with it unless you can see if and feel it good.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Unknown said...

Karen, I sent email, but you know after looking at it and getting other suggestions, I may have to read up on hand work. I could use a hoop I suppose and work it that way.
Thank you all for posting and sending emails when the blogger didn't work.

Anonymous said...

I was quite impressed by what you did to repair this quilt. Very nice cottage, too -pity you live so far, otherwise I would have droped by and bunked in ;-)