Tuesday, November 20, 2012

SEQUOIA TREES OF SOUTHERN UNITED STATES

Being in Florida, I am knitting not quilting, surfing the web a lot on days that I don't have much to do.  Oh, every day is a not much to do day it seems.

The photos are from the National
Geographic Magazine that I
came across.

 I cannot imagine a 3200 year old tree (called "the President) still standing and not chopped down. 

The splendid photos are breathtaking.  For those that want to see these in real life, these were taken in Nevada.  I cannot imagine the cutting out of a tree to make room for a car to go through, can you?

As we approach the Thanksgiving here in the US, we see all around us, Americans getting excited about the holiday...I think the Black Friday sales and the football games are all part of the excitement I fear.

We are having a pot luck Thanksgiving lunch here at the Villas, which should be great fun.  I am taking photos of the feast which is tomorrow at 1 pm.




6 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have seen the photo of the tree - they needed the road - the tree is protected so it was easier to cut through it and tourist attraction I bet so they didn't go around it.
Yes football is important to a lot - not me but then I don't shop on Friday after Thanksgiving either unless it is late in the afternoon and the crowds are gone. I can't stand the crowds and have nothing I have to have at the early sales.
As far as nothing to do - you need to start taking short drives and see the countryside in the surrounding states and further into Florida :)

Jennifer said...

I've heard about the Black Friday sales and it's difficult to imagine anything so frenzied! Football I can take or leave, preferably leave......doesn't matter what sort of football it is.

Shay said...

Enjoy your Thanksgiving lunch Nanci.

It's hard to imagine anything being as old as those trees isn't it? They are spectacular!

rosie said...

That is absolutely amazing... It's a wonder that the tree didn't die after being cut about..
Happy thanksgiving to you and your family.

BrendaLou said...

These trees grow in California, not Nevada. I spent my childhood running around them and camping at their bases. For the past 40 years I have lived in Northern CA where the Tall Trees (sequoia semperviren) grow...nearly 400' tall. in my yard I have some 1800 year old trees growing...but around the area there are some much older than that. They are beautiful trees.

Michelle said...

I love the huge old redwoods. The Avenue of the Giants in California is one of my absolute favorite places to visit.