Tuesday, December 18, 2012

DECEMBER DAYS ON THE BEACH

The seas are very rough, the storms were around us all day yesterday with tornado warnings in the area.  It was beautiful to see the Gulf of Mexico in its glory! 

I went for a walk along the beach in the afternoon and this was washed up on the beach...a sea sponge.   I had not seen one in years so it was a surprise.  I presented it to the staff here to see if they had seen one before.   Nope.  A new thing in their life.   Very interesting day indeed.

I am buying fabrics here and there, doing the Daily Deal on the Missouri Star site is great fun.  Quilton reminded me to buy the quilting clips the other day which were on for .33 plus $5.00 shipping was a great price.  I know people use hair clips etc., but these are going to help with the sewing of the bindings.

I do wish I had brought my sewing machine now.  I know that knitting is easy to carry, but I miss my sewing time.

I have knit at least a half dozen pairs of socks, and even a prayer shawl...I do need the fringes on it though to make it look proper.   Not that I pray, but these days here in the US, we are all putting the people of Newtown in our hearts at least as they must put together a future without 20 children and six teachers in their community.

I am flying home for Christmas to cherish and hug my family.  My friend Mary is doing the dinner which is always a wonderful feast for all expecially the blending of our families.   Merry Christmas.


9 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a stormy winter so far - well maybe you will have sun soon. I was watching the Missouri Star Company daily deals for awhile but then figured I would be buying way more than I needed if I started that when you start to add up postage so I haven't gotten into it. I might have to check now and then. I just use hair clips for my binding and they work easily
The shooting was tragic wasn't it - no sense

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I love a good ocean storm - so long as it does not get out of hand. I have been crocheting since my back surgery and it is fun for a change. I'm making an old fashioned Granny Square Afghan, the kind like I used to see on the backs of everyone's sofas when I was a kid. I've wanted one for a long time - so I guess now is the time.

Good find on that sea sponge.

quilton said...

I popped into Michaels with my coupon yesterday and bought a 50 pack of clips for.......are you ready?......$22.00! Some would say I'm crazy and with some I would agree, however I now have the best clips around.
Merry Christmas, Nanci and to your kin the very very best.

Barb said...

I just love the beach...

Have fun going home for Christmas...be safe and enjoy!

Jennifer said...

Wow, that certainly is one stormy sea! Can you take your sewing machine back with you on the plane after Christmas?

Shay said...

Enjoy Christmas with your family Nanci. The events of the past week have reminded us that we need to cherish family .

Shirley said...

More rain here I am afraid. It has been one heck of a wet year here in the UK. Have a great time with your family and wishing you all a Merry Christmas.

Unknown said...

I don't know how you could go without a sewing machine...get down to one of the Joanns and get a small one on special or check the kijiji sights. I'd go nuts without mine.... That beach sure looks good tonight, we're expecting 30 cm of snow!!!OMG!!

Susan In Texas said...

Have you considered hand piecing? Highly portable, and it goes MUCH faster than you would think. Plus, you can always finish what you started with your sewing machine; it's ok to mix the two methods. It's cold here in Texas, but not stormy anymore thank heavens. Happy New Year.