Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I'M NEVER USING POLY BATTING AGAIN!





I find it really hard to do more of a "male" type quilt than

the "girly" ones.


I like bright colours, but when it comes to

boys stuff, it's hard to find something for my almost teen grandsons!

I found a few more neutral prints and have made this strippie quilt with a flannel backing which looks quite male.

I used (for the very last time in my life) a poly batting from when I had first started quilting and now I know why I had such a hard time quilting.

First, when I spray basted the flannel it was great, then when I sprayed to the cotton side, it didn't stick at all. I then had to pin the whole top to the batting which was a real chore! Not too much fun and if one has even a small nick on their hands or nails, well the batting caught it all.

I think this must be used solely for tying as I will never use it again. Bring on the natural battings!

Anyway, thank goodness that with two years under my belt in the quilting world, I worked through it. I can't imagine if I'd been a novice (sic) (really laughing at this) that I'd have given up on the quilt for sure. It looks very good now that my "expertise" had a go at it. I actually awoke at 6 am thinking about the work ahead on this quilt.

I have a couple more strippies that I will do for the boys and will definitely be using good batting. My local quilt shop also is now selling 120" wide batting which is quite nice to have, but I do like bamboo as one of my favorites.

While I was doing the hand work on the above noted quilt, I watched Michael Buble on tape at Madison Square Garden...I am so totally in love with his music and he is having the time of his life as he succeeds in doing what he loves to do best in the world.....singing the old standards. I saw this on Bravo last night and taped it anyway. Also another concert sometime in January apparently.

He told the story of his grandfather taking him around Vancouver to kareoke(?) bars so he could sing and that his grandfather got him his first jobs. Never did he imagine that he would be the success that he is. Just a wonderful guy, but OMG so much energy...he was awesome.

14 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hate poly batting's myself. I only use 100% cotton. For a man's quilt how about a log cabin quilt in browns and neutrals or some other color scheme or a rail fence pattern is nice too.
I love Michael Buble's music also.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh, I am sorry you had trouble, I use it all the time, but I do pin and I hand quilt, I have no idea if that makes any difference!! LOL!!
He will love it, he would love it no matter what color you used because you made it with love......

Val - Apple Cottage said...

The poly batting is awful stuff isn't it. I don't know why anyone would use it when we have some many good options, so you'll be pleased to see the last of yours now. The strippy quilt with the stars is gorgeous and it doesn't look like you've had problems making up a boy's quilt. I think stars are great for boys.

Jennifer said...

That's a great 'boy' quilt, I agree with you, they can be hard to make. Yes, steer clear of that poly batting....it's horrible stuff, natural is better.

jan said...

Oh dear, I use it all the time and have never had a problem with it. What a shame you found it a pain, maybe it was a cheapo one, they are definitely NOT worth using. It is a good thing we arent all the same isnt it though, I actually hate the cotton waddings, I find them too FLAT when I have finished quilting, I like mine to be fluffy. Girls or boys, whatever.
Janet in UK

Unknown said...

I use poly as well. However, I spray mine and pin. And usually still end up with a small wrinkle. uggghhh The quilt looks great though.

SewCalGal said...

I've been really happy with Dream Request (100% cotton).

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful quilts - glad you figured out what works for you. I only use poly - would never think of using anything else - my quilts turn out perfect - though I have never tried the spraying part - but then I have allergies and that probably would annoy them. Isn't it great the differences in quilters - yet we all have the same goal - to make something wonderful for those we love.

Wilma Lee said...

I use poly alot, always low loft though. Never had a problem. I only use spray on small projects. On large quilts, I either pin, or I do them on my superquilter. I think the cotton looks nice, but it's way too heavy in a large quilt. Weird how everyone has their preferences.

Crispy said...

I use poly low loft too but as a hand quilter, it needles nice and I don't have to baste a lot, just toss a few safety pins in. Also, when I put the quilt in the hoop, cotton bat sticks to the fabric and makes it hard to get the wrinkles out. Love your "boy" quilt too :0)

Crispy

Micki said...

I also only use 100 percent cotton batting or sometimes wool batting.
Love your quilt!
Micki

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I love poly batting! I never tried to spray anything, though. I love strip quilts, and I've made a few of them. Great fun.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,
Love the quilt! Since using the silk batting for Marcie's quilt, I have been spoiled. Lighter than cotton or bamboo but sooo $$$$.
Talk soon, Helen

Nanette Merrill said...

Nanci you have been on a roll with these. Good for you!!