Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I'VE BEEN PUBLISHED!, THANK YOU HELEN!


I'll never complain of the price of raspberries again! See this little bowl? It took me almost an hour to pick? Mind you I wasn't in one spot, but just around the bushes on our property.
.
There is also for the first time in years, blueberries. I say that word loosely as these little suckers almost need to be seen with a magnifying glass!
.
If you look closely at the bottom of the bowl, you can see a few bits of blue. But having said that, the ones I got were delish.
Now in every situation that I have here, a dog or two is involved! Berry picking was no exception! When Quincey, who has the most energy of any dog I know, and loves to follow me around, saw me picking berries he decided that he'd get involved too!
.
He actually was picking berries off the bushes and since there weren't that many, he and I came to a big disagreement as to who is the alpha in this situation.
.
It was touch and go there for a bit as he is faster on his feet than I am, but in the end I managed after and hour to pick a bowl of berries and put them high so that he couldn't get them!
.
The raspberry must be picked by hand I presume, which is why we pay $2.99 for a half pint. I'll not complain again of the price...I promise.
.
I have been sewing the nine patches but still don't know how I will put them all together. I was actually thinking of placing them in a different pattern, with maybe all of one
colour together and drifting into the others.

.
I also have yellow pieces to this jelly, but I'm not crazy about it at all, so I could use it somewhere else.
.
This little suitcase which I keep at the cottage, actually have four in this size, I use to keep the ongoing project. It's handy and I don't make much mess while working.
.
They are very hard to find these days. I got this one and the other 3 at Goodwill many years ago for $3.00 each. I've been meaning to paint them up and put photo stickers of my quilts and the urethene over that....so much work and so little time!
So the suitcase stays as it is, very versatile. I use one for keeping all the needles, threads, patterns, and any other thing to put quilts or bags together.
.
The other two are full of fabrics that I may use.
.
I HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED! My friend Helen, my private teacher, don't you all know by now......well she wrote a little article about my quilting here at the cottage for our cottage magazine! I was so surprised and at first thought that it was about her wonderful works, but then I saw some of my quilt photos and wondered why she was putting MY quilts when it was about her.....well I read the first paragraph and realized that she had written about me!!!!!!!!!!
.
I was weeping as my sweetie came over to ask why the tears, so I told him to look! Then other people asked what was in the magazine which we were receiving as we are all members of the same association . I am now a minor star and I thank Helen for her lovely article about me.
.
If you want to read it I can send it to you as a pdf. She has given permission for me to send it to you all who want it.
.
ps....The "new" neighbours demand a name! How come we are the new neighbours they ask? After the storm of last week they read my blog for the first time! Loving it as they now do, I must come up with a name....I'm thinking on it and may have to use other minds to come up with just the right logo.



19 comments :

Jennifer said...

Wow, you are famous! Wasn't that a nice thing for Helen to do? I would love to read the article.

Leslie said...

congratulations.. that is very exciting. i miss picking berries in the summer. where we used to live there were blackberries everywhere, all of the time. We must have picked gallons. i made jam, and sherbet, pies and cobblers....i miss it

Unknown said...

Come on Nanci, send that PDF my way, would love to see it!!

Crispy said...

I too would love to read the article!! We had raspberry bushes and there would never be any below short dog height because our back yard neighbor's dogs loved picking berries too LOL.

Crispy

Pokey said...

The nine patch progress is looking good, I like your idea on grouping colors. Send me a pdf, that is such an honor!
I love any fruit that is fresh picked, any veggie too, for that matter. Your little berry picking partner is no dummy, lol Enjoy your day! pokey

Sandra Henderson said...

Oh Nanci!~That is so wonderful! Thank you Helen for pointing out this lovely lady in your magazine! yes, of course, I'd love the article! :) We use to pick blueberries and make pancakes! YUM! Well, never could get more than that for anything else for eating as I picked and we were also camping at the time, so it was wonderful! Yes, they are also highly perishable/shipping etc, makes the cost higher. THey are gorgeous!
Let us know what you come up w/for your new neighbors. Sounds like they are great sports! Something about a "blustery day" would work. lol Can't remember many names of places,etc. in Winnie The Pooh right now.
Have a great day!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Very pretty nine patches - love the colors. Ohhh the raspberries, I think I would not let a dog have mine either. LOL

I'd love to read the article about our now famous blogger.

Edna / HandmadeDiva said...

Loving the pretty 9 patch blocks. The raspberries look delicious.

Barb said...

That is awesome about being published....

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Isn't that nice! Helen has good taste.

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Wow - you really are a celebrity. YUM for those raspberries, and just look at Quincey. He's quite sure he won the raspberry picking competition. He's gorgeous.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I'd love to read the article!

I like your nine-patch idea of blending the colors into each other.

susan@tickledpaisley said...

congrats Nancy! I've been on a long sewing and blog hiatus and am so happy to have returned to your blog today to hear the good news! Can't wait to read the article (and catch up on your blog).

Shay said...

Congratulations on being published Nanci! I'd love to see it too.

I'm missing summer berries.

Rose Marie said...

Oh .... can you send me the article .... it will be enjoyable to read!

Sue-Anne said...

Congratulations on being published! I would love to read the article.
those raspberries looks yummy and I am surprised your little dog likes the taste of them.

Barbara Summers said...

Good Morning Nancy!
Henri and I have returned home from Paradise yesterday. I enjoyed my visit with Helen, to see you and all the lovely work you have been doing. Your web site is lovely and very interesting. I would love to read the article that Helen wrote so I too may respond. Enjoy the views, we will return to the Island soon to swim, enjoy all the lovely creatures we share the Island with and visit with all the wonderful neighbours! All the Best,
Barbara, with the painted chairs.

Micki said...

Congrats on being published! I love your blocks!
Micki

Nanette Merrill said...

Yippee for you! It feels good, doesn't it. I want those raspberries.