Wednesday, September 8, 2010

COTTAGE HISTORY AND QUILTING

Remember the "new" neighbours? Well this is the
last bouquet of the summer. The flowers lasted
over two weeks because I knew that Kent would
not be back for the month of September




.
All summer long he brought flowers for me. I know that it's fall now as the glads are done, the kids are back in school, the lake is quiet, it's raining, it's getting a bit chilly at night, so it's a sign that the end of the season is near.





I actually finished piecing the nine patch that I started in July, but don't have backing for it as yet, so I decided to work on the Eleanor Burns quilt,"flying into spring" which is now flying into fall..

.

Someone posted a "slow poke quilter" and I would
have won a prize for being such a slow poke this
past summer. I do think it was the weather!




.I've got all the stippling done on the quilt, but do think that the flowers need to be tacked down. Helen is coming to have a boo at it today to give me some idea of what to do.


.
The geese will just be outlined inside the borders as they need achoring too.
.
The basting which was done by a quilt shop in Orillia was just amazing and made my work so much easier. I don't think I could have put this
together otherwise.

.
I was talking to one of my blogging friends this past week and noted that we came to the cottage in 2000 with a boat load of our stuff thinking that we would never again need to load up the car and that all the hard work was done!
.
The following year you see on the photo that we really needed more "stuff". We looked like the Beverhill Billies (aka the Clampetts) and people were taking photos of the barge as they'd never seen the barge filled like that!
.
Well we needed the sunroom, and my sweetie figured that if we were paying for the barge we
may as well load it up!
.
The barge had all the lumber for building the sunroom. We hired people to unload it all and withing a week the foundations were done for the addition of the sunroom
.
This is what was accomplished on the first day!
It was the middle of May when this was all started and by the end of August, the room was enclosed with the windows!

.
That September we had such a storm which was the result of the winds from a hurricane that for
the life of me I can't remember, but it was a
night of terror for us here at the cottage.

.

The windows are weatherwalls which are built to withstand winds of about 65 mph, and we here well over that on that night.
.
There was minor damage to the boats, branches were down but the windows withstood the winds!
.
As Earl went through the areas last week I was reminded of that storm and our life as it began here at the cottage.

So, I've posted a few of our photos here for you
to see the changes.
.
The "Great Room" as it was aptly named by our daughter Kelly is still the place where we all gather for events, and my little quilting studio in the summer is in one corner of the fabulous room that was built by my sweetie.



ps...can someone tell me how I remove this
extra photo?
Thank you Karen....it works...it's gone!











11 comments :

Barb said...

I loved seeing the pictures and hearing your story....what a fun place to be. I just love our sewing room in all that light.

You flying geese quilt is soooo wonderful.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

maybe you can try to click on the photo and then hit the delete button? Wonderful photos and it does take a lot to make a home doesn't it! What a wonderful summer place you have.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Quiltgal said...

Nanci,
What a beautiful quilt. I am so envious. I think I would like to make that pattern too, using my collection of 30's reproduction prints and I am in awe that you did your own quilting. I usually just send my tops out. PS your Sunroom is lovely.

Crispy said...

It's wonderful that there are barges that can be hired to get all the stuff to the island but what a scare after getting the sunroom done and worrying that it would blow away!!

Your Flying Into Spring quilt is soooo pretty. I'm so happy that your kept with it :0)

Crispy

quiltingnana said...

to everything there is a season..sounds like you have enjoyed your cottage adventure over the last ten years...now just dream about next summer!
Love the flowers and the quilt...the colors are delicious

Penny said...

Look at that stippling. Wow!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Thanks for the photos - I was really wanting to see how you got there.

To remove a photo - right click on it and then hit delete - it should go away.

Jennifer said...

Pretty glads! Goodness, you have done a lot in ten years haven't you.

Patchmaker said...

Great colors in the quilt; it's lovely!

susan@tickledpaisley said...

Nanci - the quilt is fabulous! Wowza! Looks like it is definitely worth all the time you've put into it. I do love the image of the Clampetts on the barge - : ) Hope all is well!

Shay said...

I really enjoyed hearing a bit more about the hostiry of the cottage Nanci. It seems like such a wonderful place and it's so kind of you to share it with us.

Love the Spring quilt. Truly beautiful. I know you had doubts along the way but you've brought it to life, and its one of the most stunning quilts Ive ever seen.