Friday, December 9, 2011

LIFE IN FLORIDA

First, I cannot tell you how happy I am to be back after three weeks in limbo and on the road.

We arrived in Florida without any problems, but our computer went into shock and we lost all our data.

Of course the back up system is
at the cottage and we cannot
get to it till spring.  So, I've lost all my email addresses which fortunately, I'm pretty good at remembering family and friends most of the time, but so many of bloggers are just a "reply to" that I don't have those.

Oh, well, work for me while I
am shopping at Joann's Fabrics.


I went shopping the third day here, but without internet, I've not done anything with the fabric.


I bought greys, blues and a few patterns that will make a cute
quilt after Christmas I am sure.



The fabrics were all on sale for about $6.00 per yard. 


I didn't buy enough so am going
back Monday.





 I wish I could say that this is our house.....really, but alas, this was a house in Alabama.  One of about a dozen of these beautiful old houses that are still kept so beautifully.

Our rented house would fit on
the veranda of the above house. It is pretty small, but we are close to all amenities which is good so that I am able to drive to the grocery store and could now go to the fabric stores by myself.

This is the dog.....he slept like this for the whole drive...like a
baby.  The motor starts and we put the car in drive and he passes out!  How good is that?  A great travel dog I tell you.

Here in Florida on the pan handle, it isn't a very good economic area and all around us are business, and homes in foreclosure.  It is very sad.  On the street where we are, the  other night a family moved out in the darkness before the sheriff put a lock on their contents.  A young couple too, which was so sad.

How fortunate we are that we can come here and enjoy the wonderful weather, although a bit cool at night.  Everywhere we go, we are welcomed which is something to say for the southern hospitality that is abound.

So, as a neighbour told us that a treat for their children would be a trip to McDs.....we are indeed blessed.

On a lighter note, we have free calling to family and friends in US and Canada, thanks to our generous landlord.  And of course SKYPE.  Lots of laughs before our computer fritzed.

Talk to you soon. 





10 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Oh Nanci sorry to hear about your computer! I try to remember to print out a list of all my addresses every now and then but I know I haven't in a long time. I had just read an article the other day that said parts of Florida have been hard hit by the recession and a lot of people unemployed - sounds like parts of that is where you selected to visit! Have fun and enjoy the warm days - yes it does get chilly at night but I be even the nights are warm to you compare to home!
Karen

quilton said...

Great to see you back again. Just a titch of luck I found the posting tonight. I'm sitting here waiting for the oven to clean itself so I can go to bed. The US is not good economically in a lot of places. I feel sorry for the people loosing their homes and not able to even take their children to McDonalds. A very sad situation.

quilton said...

Great to see you back again. Just a titch of luck I found the posting tonight. I'm sitting here waiting for the oven to clean itself so I can go to bed. The US is not good economically in a lot of places. I feel sorry for the people loosing their homes and not able to even take their children to McDonalds. A very sad situation.

Jennifer said...

Interesting fabrics.....I look forward to seeing what they will become! Bummer about the computer - we have come to rely on them for so much, haven't we? We would be lost without ours.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Glad you are safely in FL and enjoying the warmer weather - and the fabrics for the new quilt look wonderful.

I have a couple friends that live in FL - and they say that houses that originally sold for 325,000 are now going at auction for 20,000 sometimes - a sad situation indeed.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Look at you getting settled in and shopping!! Remember to print coupons for Joann's off the internet!

Shay said...

Love the fabrics and it sounds like you're settling in all right.

I would have a complete meltdown if I lost all the stuff off my computer(which reminds me it's probably time to do a back up!)

Cant wait for more posts from Florida!

farmersdotter said...

Enjoy the warmth! I'm looking forward to several weeks in warmth after the 1st of the year. I'm planning on being in the Orlando area in mid January, are you anywhere near there? I'd love to visit some quilt guilds while we're there...I'll have to check that out.

Brenda...the Farmer's Dotter
P.S. I'm having a give away this week on my blog! Take a look and leave a comment!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,
SOOO happy to hear that all is well! Bedlam around here. My mother fell twice in 10 days and is having a dreadful time so I have been in Burlington to help out. "Himself" is terrific as usual and being very helpful. I will NEVER go away for two weeks again in December although we did have a terrific time. What is your email address? Is it the same as before?
Hugs for you both,
Helen (your P.T.)

Nanette Merrill said...

Love the house and love the daisy on gray.