Friday, April 3, 2009

CONNECTING THE DOTS...



Remember that dot fabric I bought? It's here and I laid it out this morning, took a photo and then arranged the rows. Yeah, I had to do it all over again as piling one row on the other just didn't work..

When I started to sew, I couldn't remember how it all went. Stupid me...I then laid it out again, forgetting to take photo of course , but pinned all the squares to each other. Looking really good now.. It's a bit different from what you see, but pretty close. I made an extra black square so that it was all matchey matchey..know what I mean? I am really pleased with the results and even though it's considered easy, I must be challenged somewhere, putting it together wasn't easy. It's 54" wide and 65" long. Somehow, I got an extra row of patterns from the measurements given. I'm sure it happens all the time.

Anyway, I have enough extra cuts to make the back interesting. It's pretty, and that's what I wanted.

See this photo on the left? Well my dears let me tell you of this photo. It Queen Elizabeth with her arm around Michelle...yep, the first lady...Apparently, the queen commented on how tall Michelle was and actually the queen touched Michelle first and then Michelle put her arm around the queen...The press in England is having a field day of this.....No one, I mean NO ONE is supposed to touch the queen! This is an absolute first...and it was the queen. She put her gloved arm around our Michelle (you know the song, ma Belle Michelle etc...) she loved Michelle and did the move of her life...she touched Michelle. It looks like they are posing for a family photo doesn't it. Anyway, the Brits just loved the photo that shook England yesterday!

We are having what is called April Showers, quite heavy in fact and so the sewing goes on. I took the dog for a walk and we were soaked when we returned. He was wet, thought he'd had a bath, and started running all over the house. I got a towel out to dry him and he jumped into the towel and was like a crazy dog....Too funny (Kel). I think dogs do all those crazy things after a bath and Wilson is one crazy dog...(Kel) She says he's the child we never had!

Karen, dear sweet Karen, sent me a lovely book on simple quilt making. Bless her...she knows my level. No hand work for me Karen! Just the sewing of those little squares, triangles and bars. I absolutely love it...Thank you again.

Have a great weekend all. It's almost springtime........



14 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Don't you just love that photo - I think it is really neat that the queen put her arm around her and that Michelle did it back. I didn't realize that no one touches the queen until they were talking about it on the news - it was such a friendly gesture from the queen wasn't it and then that Michelle felt comfortable to do so also - the Obama's seem to be very "touchy feeling" people they are always giving someone a hug it seems. Such a difference from what we had in the white house isn't it.

So glad you liked the book Nanci! The quilt you have pictured looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.

Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Lindsey said...

I got a chuckle out of the Michelle Obama thing as well. Very fun quilt with the dots...so nice to meet you!

Millie said...

Nanci, what a lovely quilt. Love the dot fabrics and the pink and green color combination. So simple, clean and fresh...just lovely.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh I knew I was going to love the dots, it is wonderful!!

Crispy said...

Nanci, I feel for you having to lay your quilt out a couple of extra times to get it right. I hate those steps from the design board to my chair...there is alway a couple of dag nabbits while completing a quilt.

I absolutely love the picture of the Queen and Michelle. It just goes to show how friendly our first lady is.

Crispy

Val - Apple Cottage said...

I can remember several years ago when our Australian Prime Minister touched the Queen ever so briefly, but there was a great "to do" about it in the press. He was severely criticised for it at the time. It all seemed so ridiculous, but apparently touching the Queen is quite out of bounds no matter who you are. Good on Michelle.

Barb said...

I love your quilt, it looks awesome and the story about the queen as well.

Carol E. said...

I bumped into your blog today and love it! But I was hooked when you said at your profile, "quilting is a passion. Housework isn't" I knew I had to sign up as a follower! I'm with you, sistah!

Quiltgal said...

Nanci, It looks great.

Anya said...

I LOVE that quilt -- the colors are wonderful.

Kelly said...

Morning Mom...Your blog is getting popular! Now you can completely understand how I made such good friends back when I started on the computer. Love the picture you out up and yes it is s/thg that Michelle O and the Quees have their arms on each other!

Anonymous said...

I love the colours in the new quilt. It looks great. I always have trouble when I lay my quilts out, I usually end up with something upside down!

Dionne said...

I really got a chuckle out of that as well. But I must say, I don't remember any of the press I listened too mentioning who touched whom first. I am glad to know it was the queen and that she was so impressed with Michelle Obama! They've done a lot to mend relationships!
Cheers,
Dionne

jan said...

Hi, I'm from the UK, I too was amused at the picture, everyone here went into shock of course, as you are quite right, no-one is supposed to touch the Queen, but this photo shows she is human after all. Great picture, well done Michelle, and our Queen of course.