Sunday, March 29, 2009

THE VICTORIAN QUILT IS FINISHED!


I really didn't know what else to call this quilt...x@# was my first thoughts, but I finally finished it. I didn't have my photographer here this weekend...Nascar trip to Virginia... so of course yesterday when the temperatures were in the 50s here in Whitby, I quilted. I got up at 7:30 , made coffee and attacked this quilt.
I used varigated thread and stippled it. It took me an hour to spray baste, and 3 -4 hours to stipple it.
I then watched a chick flick, The Lake House with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves and then also watched figure skating between commercials....yeah usually guys do this channel flicking, but I was multitasking, sewing, flicking, and sometimes throwing the ball for the little white thing that is on the quilt photo. I finished it, washed it and made it to Bob and Mary's for candle light hour as we ate freshly made Lemon Pie. Her mother in law who is 87 made this pie. So very very good! When I got home, took it out of the dryer and Mary said, that I had missed a frame on one of the blocks. You know, I nearly jumped off the top of the stairs! I was so careful with this quilt and couldn't figure out why I was "off" when I had used template etc.
So, after her pointing out my mistake, I thought I would just leave it. I was so sick of this quilt as you know. Anyway I woke up this am and of course I looked at the block closely and then remembered my "restoration" expertise....I cut out a small piece and added the border to the missing square and just stippled it on the quilt.
At least now all the squares match. It's off a bit, but it looks good to the eye when seeing the quilt. OMG, I was so careful. And not only that, so many people looked at the thing before I quilted it...no one saw it until finished and I even said that I had trouble with one part.
I am glad to be finished with it is all I can say. It does look good though and the back is in the black print which makes it stand out.
Today it is pouring out and I don't have to think of walking you know who till it lets up because he hates the rain! I hope it's not raining in Martinsville for the race.
Karen has kindly sent me a recipe for sourdough starter. She is on my blog roll over on the left there and she made some biscuits and an apple cake that I just must have. So if you want to start sourdough, go look. Yeah Pioneer Woman would be proud of her.
I am going to start it and see if I can make pizza dough with it. I think it would be interesting..
One more day of being alone....bliss!

9 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hadn't tried a pizza crust with sourdough starter but maybe if you do a search on it you will find one - let me know if you find one that turns out good.
The quilt looks great by the way!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Anya said...

Nice job with the quilt and the model looks so cute, too!

Susan In Texas said...

I think the quilt is lovely, and so is your furry little helper!

Happy quilting,
Susan
http://www.susanintexas.blogspot.com

Barb said...

I have a few quilts like that...just glad to get her done!!! It looks good if that is any comfort?

Millie said...

Congratulations on a beautiful quilt finished. The little quilt model is so cute.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

well done Nanci you quilt is just lovely.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

The quilt is a beautiful finish...I know you're glad to have that checked off your list of completed things. I love your little helper too.
~Karen~

Anonymous said...

It looks great. Were you trying to make me feel better for all the trouble I had with my last quilt? LOL! Just enjoy it now that it's done, it's a beautiful quilt!

DIDI said...

Well you might be fed up with it but the quilt looks really great!
Love your little dog too lol