Friday, April 17, 2009

EASY PEASY QUILT IN A DAY

Remember I told you that my friend Dawn was returning from Florida? Well yesterday, was lesson two in her quilting adventures.
Last year she came to the cottage for a few days, brought a down pour which consequently meant no playing or sitting outside.
So, I asked her about learning to quilt which followed with a strippy quilt being done in one day, quilted but not bound. Hello! we needed to eat and sleep!
She is going to a shower for her nephew whose wife is having a baby and asked about a baby quilt....Lesson 2 was yesterday.
We bought this panel and backing, spray basted and with a lesson in stippling she proceeded to oooooh and aaaaaaaaaaaw at how wonderful the Janome 6600 was to work with, so as you see, she is gloved...didn't do what I can do and that is stitch the glove to the quilt....and proceeded over the next few hours to stipple the quilt while I cleaned up my shelves.
As you can see, although this photo shows the quilt upside down..I didn't get her face in the second shot...she only has to hand sew the binding and label.
A great job and a fun day!
The daughter of a friend of mine is just starting to blog, so have a look at Claire's blog which is located in my side bar as Claire in Florida. Pop in and comment on her adventure in blogland.
It's Friday, I am taking our future Olympic girl to see about her leg once again. So my day of starting a new project is cut short a bit. The stress fracture that showed up in CT scan is being looked at by an orthopedic surgeon this am. He starts earlly, 8:30, so I gotta get going.
Have a super weekend folks! It looks like next week we may head up to the cottage to see how it fared through the winter. The ice is almost out! Wahooo!

9 comments :

Micki said...

I just found your blog and love it. The quilt is super cute, and it looks lovely! I have enjoyed reading your posts with my cups of coffee.
Micki
In Ireland

Lindsey said...

Ahhh the gift of learning to quilt! Good for you for passing it on. Looks like it turned out great.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope the cottage is fared fine over the winter. Have fun at it. I have heard that some machine quilters use those gloves - I would think the hands would get too warm? Cute quilt. I'm off to my Dear Jane group this morning.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jocelyn said...

How wonderful that your friend was able to make the baby quilt. I use garden gloves to do my machine quilting. I feel that it gives me more control over the fabric.
Have a great weekend!

Crispy said...

Oh Nanci, look at the smile on Dawn's face!! She should be pleased with the quilt, she did a great job on it.

Have fun at the Cottage!!

Crispy

Barb said...

It is always fun to show someone how to quilt...she did a great job, you are a good teacher.

Kelly said...

Ahhhhhhhhh! I am so glad dawn is joining you in doing this...keeps her out of trouble!;)

Cindy's Stitching said...

i like the design and color

Sunshine said...

Hi, I hope you get notified when people leave comments as this is a week-old post. I just wanted to thank you for describing the incorporation on gloves into quilts during stippling. I had to laugh out loud! I'm waiting for the day that'll happen to me... so far I've just managed to stipple the quilt to an different corner of itself, very annoying to open stippling stitches and redo them!

Cheers,
Christine

http://cuttingedgequilt.blogspot.com/