Tuesday, April 14, 2009

DOTS AND STRIPES FINISHED


Here is my Dots and Stripes quilt. It's finished, measures 65 X 70 which is large for me to have done, but it went so well that I was able to complete it on the weekend. I used warm and natural batting. Is it just me or does this quilt feel heavier than most...It was definitely a hit with the girls that came for dinner on Sunday. The grandson..."nice Nana" was the only comment. He's not into pink obviously....

These long weekends with such nice weather can get a girl away from sewing for sure. We were out to dinner, had guests, ate too much and we were all just ready to veg out on Monday.

However our girl is back from Florida training camp, all tanned and antsy to get out on the frigid waters of Lake Ontario. So Monday morning instead of sleeping in and lazing around we went to get her kayak on the trailer of about 30 odd that came from Florida. There were very fit bodies there to remove the kayaks off the trailer and find our two which were were bringing back to the local Canoe Club. It was quite an experience to see how these kids had loaded and unloaded the boats.


The photo of the grandkids and me whilst awaiting the feast of roast beef, potatoes, sweet potatoe casserole and brocolli casserole. I made rhubarb crisp for one of the deserts and Martin brought Pumpkin pie for the other.

Did I tell you I had been given a box of left over fabric from my grandmother's stash? She passed away in 1965 I think it was and one of my aunts has kept a couple of boxes of her fabrics. I washed and pressed what I could yesterday and think that it's one of those that I must find a pattern that isn't too big in order to use the fabric.

I may cut out 2 1/2" squares and get ready to make a top with these and some of my scraps too.
It would mean connecting all these little squares together in 9 patch I should think and then add a colour in between.. It's a work in progress, and as I said, I got the fabric washed and pressed, that's the start.

Oh we are expecting 50 degree weather in the next few days. I saw a finch yesterday and so many redwing black birds! It's here, there are buds on the trees and when we went downtown to pick up the kayaks, there were so many shops with all the pots of flowers and perennials out to be admired! I love Spring!

PS. am going to the post office to pick up envelopes for mailing prizes today too.

10 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

grandkids look delightful. I bet the one in the middle with the great tan is the one that went to Florida! You are lucky to have the family near by and see them so much. You sound like a very close family. I wish my girls lived right here!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Thearica said...

I LIKE your quilt!!!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

love the quilt! congrats on your finish!

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow! Grandma's stash! Hope you have a lot of fun putting pieces together. It will certainly be a memory quilt for you. A touch from the past :-)

Nanette Merrill said...

What a sweet touching photo. I love it. All the girls together. I love 2 1/2" squares in quilts.

Crispy said...

Great looking grand kids and your quilt turned out wonderfully. If it feels heavy it's probably because it's BIG LOL.

Crispy

Barb said...

The quilt turned out sooooo amazing.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh, I love, love, love your quilt and what a special picture of the grand-kids. Someone has a PIF package all ready to send out but I Need you address! Thanks!!

jan said...

Hi, now that is strange, I too have just finished a quilt using this batting, and I find it to be very heavy too. I normally use polyester type batting, but my friend wanted this type. Nice to quilt, but I prefer the 'puffy' look on my quilts.
Love your quilt, and your grand children are gorgeous. I have just one grand daughter, my little angel she is !!!! sometimes. lol :-)

Anya said...

That quilt looks wonderful!