Monday, April 20, 2009

NO POSTING FOR A FEW DAYS.






My Uncle Charlie has passed away after a brief illness. He and my Aunt Pauline were married for 55 years and were hardly separated in all those years.

They met while both were very young, he being in the US airforce and she being a young woman living in Canada. He would walk miles, across the US/Canada border whenever he had leave and would walk to my grandmother's house to court my Aunt Pauline. My grandmother fed him well and was sure that was why he was always showing up on her doorstep!

He was much loved by all of us who have known him in this family, and he left love wherever he went. He will be sorely missed by his six children, many grand children, but most of all, my Aunt Pauline.

We, that knew him were blessed....

12 comments :

Jocelyn said...

My deepest sympathies go out to your family.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh Nanci, I am so sorry for you loss, be safe on your trip.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry to hear of your loss, hope your family can think of all the good memories of your uncle.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Crispy said...

I'm so sorry for you loss Nanci. You are in my thoughts {{Hugs}}

Crispy

Jennifer said...

So sorry to hear of your loss, but your uncle's story will live on in your family's memories of him.

Anya said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. May your many years of happy memories help you during this difficult time.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

thoughts and prayers and strength in the difficult time.

Quiltgal said...

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I loved your favorite quilt...and the story of your Uncle. It made me miss all my uncles.... who have left this world. I wish I knew more of their stories.

jan said...

My thoughts are with you and your Aunt at this difficult time. So very sad.

Sonja said...

Hi there, I just popped over from the quilt festival. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. May you and your family find comfort in each other and the love you shared for this special man. Lovely quilt btw!

Nanette Merrill said...

Nanci - they made such a cute couple. True love. But it takes more than love to go 55 years.