Sunday, April 26, 2009

WE ARE BACK!

We are back from Pennsylvania. It must be one of the most beautiful States to drive through. We enjoyed the scenery so much and the roads were like new...actually highway 15 has been redone and it was smooth driving.

This quilt that I am featuring is on my Aunt Pauline's bed in Williamsport. It was made for her in Grand Falls, New Brunswick, is machine pieced and hand quilted. It's a large double, and very light weight. She said it's supposed to be a summer weight.

I must ask if summer weighted quilts are done with poly batting. It really is light...And is this a "Ohio Star" pattern?

The funeral was one that I had never seen done here in Canada. My Uncle Charlie was a Korean war veteran, involved in veteran's affairs in his area, very involved in church and community.
There was a full military honour guard at the cemetary and 21 gun salute, then the presentation of the American Flag to my aunt. I had never seen this done and was so moved by it all that I wished we had such ceremonies here in Canada. Truly, truly a moving experience.

I hope that each and every soldier that returns from Iraq is afforded such a ceremony. The famiies of soldiers everywhere deserve it.

In Canada, we have, for our fallen soldiers, a "highway of tears", it is about 150 miles of highway from the base landing to the coroner's office in Toronto. People stand at the sides of the highway and on overpasses with flags draped in honour of these young men and women who have given their lives for freedom in other countries.

So, this past week, I have been given the honour of being present to a ceremony that I didn't know existed, and was moved to tears by it all.

Thank you so much for your comments of condolensce for my family.

11 comments :

Millie said...

Welcome back and the Ohio Star quilt is such a pretty quilt. I like the blue sashings and border on you aunt's quilt.

lesthook said...

My late husband,retired military,had this ceremony. When they play taps it really gets to your heart!I have his flag in a case above my computer desk. Sorry for your loss.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Nanci,
We had been away too and didn't get a chance to read any posts for a while. So sorry to hear about your uncle. I've only seen military funerals on tv and crying during that...I can't imagine the emotion in person. Glad you're back safe from your trip.
Have a great day,
~Karen~

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Glad you are back Nanci and that you had a good trip considering the circumstance. The quilt is pretty. I have only been to one military funeral and it is very moving. When they have one in the movies I always get choked up. Pennsylvania is pretty isn't it.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Lindsey said...

So glad you are back and how nice your Uncle Charlie had such a wonderful outpouring of love. I know it was well deserved. The quilt is so stunning and simple at the same time. The blue sashing really sets those stars beautifully.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Yes, we do that a lot and when they family member is given the flag it is so wonderful, what you do also sounds very moving.
My middle daughter went to school in Pennsylvania .I love the state, it is very pretty. Glad you are home safe and sound!

Barb said...

I am sorry for your loss as well. My father was given a 21 gun salute and you are right, it is very special and for my mother to be given the flag, truly awesome.

Anya said...

Welcome back, Nanci. On your way through Pennsylvania on Route 15 you were 15 minutes from my house! The next time you do that, stop in for some tea...

BTW...I received your wonderful package in the mail the other day. It smells so heavenly. Thank you very much.

Crispy said...

Welcome home Nanci. When they did the 21 gun salute and taps for my brother it was such an emotional time. I did really well through everything until that point. I would love to see the highway of tears. I didn't know the Canadian tradition....how wonderful.

The quilt is lovely. Summer weight quilts often have no batting at all or just maybe flannel as the batting so it's really thin. Poly bats don't breathe that well so can be oppressive in the summer.

Mary Johnson said...

So sorry to read about your uncle but I do agree that a funeral with military honors is very moving. When my father-in-law died a few years ago he was buried at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors and it's something we'll always remember.

Nanette Merrill said...

The quilt is so so lovely. Beautiful. My home state of PA is a wonderful state. I miss the green. I miss it. It is home and will always be even though I haven't lived there since I was 17.