Sunday, April 26, 2009

WE ARE BACK!

We are back from Pennsylvania. It must be one of the most beautiful States to drive through. We enjoyed the scenery so much and the roads were like new...actually highway 15 has been redone and it was smooth driving.

This quilt that I am featuring is on my Aunt Pauline's bed in Williamsport. It was made for her in Grand Falls, New Brunswick, is machine pieced and hand quilted. It's a large double, and very light weight. She said it's supposed to be a summer weight.

I must ask if summer weighted quilts are done with poly batting. It really is light...And is this a "Ohio Star" pattern?

The funeral was one that I had never seen done here in Canada. My Uncle Charlie was a Korean war veteran, involved in veteran's affairs in his area, very involved in church and community.
There was a full military honour guard at the cemetary and 21 gun salute, then the presentation of the American Flag to my aunt. I had never seen this done and was so moved by it all that I wished we had such ceremonies here in Canada. Truly, truly a moving experience.

I hope that each and every soldier that returns from Iraq is afforded such a ceremony. The famiies of soldiers everywhere deserve it.

In Canada, we have, for our fallen soldiers, a "highway of tears", it is about 150 miles of highway from the base landing to the coroner's office in Toronto. People stand at the sides of the highway and on overpasses with flags draped in honour of these young men and women who have given their lives for freedom in other countries.

So, this past week, I have been given the honour of being present to a ceremony that I didn't know existed, and was moved to tears by it all.

Thank you so much for your comments of condolensce for my family.
Post a Comment