Tuesday, May 5, 2009

SEND ME BACK!



We have returned to the city for a few days for doctor appointments. I am coughing so much that my stomach is sore! I hold it while I hack! Ok, too much information there, right!


The weather at the cottage has been brisk to say the least. We have only about 640 sq ft to heat for the main part of the cottage, so I have just been using a little heater that I bought last year.

It's amazing how well it works, so I haven't had to start building fires in the stove each day.


There are only a few of us on the lake at this time of year. Brave souls only and of course the fishing fools as I call those that fish in the blowing lake, and rain storms....


We went to the waterfall yesterday, (Monday) and it is flowing like a good thing, so we did take photos which have yet to be downloaded. As we were leaving Jerry turned the boat around so that his back was to the waterfall so that I could take photos of him etc. I noticed what looked to be one of the biggest trouts I've ever seen in the water, then a whole school of them were swimming in about 2-3 ft of water near the edge of the waterfall stream! I will see how the other photos are and will post them later.


They were all about 16-20" long and there were more than a dozen of them. We turned on the fish finder and it showed the temperature at that part of the lake to be about 15 degrees warmer than the main part of the lake. That's why they were there, keeping warm. They are pretty safe as there aren't more that 4 or 5 guys fishing and they think trout like to be deep!


We noticed that there were a number of trees down on properties due to winter and early spring storms, but amazingly enough not one cottage was damaged...close though as we have a neighbour's small hemlock leaning against a bigger hemlock almost on top of the edge of our little bunkie...this weekend they are removing it.


Lots of docks are floating on the lake as the water is so high that when the ice went out the docks which were up on the shores were dislodged and they float down the lake and people will start looking for them when they come up for the May long weekend.


There are lots of wild turkeys around for some reason. I have heard them, but not seen one yet. I think they are on another island but it's hard to tell as we get so many echos out our way due to the winds and the islands being fairly high up.


I am glad to be back to pick up my quilting supplies. We are taking the table and new machine up next week. I must get organized for summer projects even though we will be back and forth a few times.


It's nice to write again, but we are going to try dial up next week when we return to our little piece of paradise, so that I can post. Don't know about photos, but I'm going to try.



7 comments :

Jocelyn said...

Hope you will be feeling better soon. I picked up a little cold over the weekend too, and I have been sneezing and coughing. Trying to stay away from folks. Don't want to spread anything, and don't want to catch anything :-)

Val - Apple Cottage said...

I hope you can shake off that nasty cough you've got real soon. It's very wearing when you feel like that. Your cottage sounds like the most perfect place to spend time and rejuvenate.

Crispy said...

I don't understand that fishing in the cold...like the knuckleheads that ice fish in ND with the 50 below wind chills. Don't tell anyone where you saw that trout, you will never get your boat in there again LOL.

I hope you get over your cold really soon. Nothing worse than a spring/summer cold.

Glad that hemlock didn't land on the bunkie!!!

Crispy

Lindsey said...

Yuk and super sorry about the cough...that stuff is no fun...loved hearing all about the cottage...can I just say one thing....I'm going to be just like you when I grow up?! Nanci, take care of your self...that means handwork only!

Sunshine said...

Do you adopt? I want to live there too :)

Cheers,
Christine

Micki said...

I hope that you get over your cough soon..I am trying to get my injured knee healed, so we both hav some healing to do. The lake sounds wonderful, even though it has been colder than we would expect spring to be.
Have fun and feel better!
Micki

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow what a fabulous place. A fish finder! really. I've never heard of that. How fun. Take care of yourself. No swine flu!!!