Friday, June 19, 2009

SATELLITE BLISS!



Well we just couldn't stand the dial up and since my sweetie had to do business on line, well, you know what happened....this, I can now read blogs, post photos and just be smiling when I have my coffee in the mornings and read what you are all doing with your blogs!

The rainbow is to show my happiness! Isn't it a beauty? My friend Helen called from her cottage and said to look out as the rainbow was just there across the lake and it was awesome! I just clicked one photo...yeah I know, I should have taken more, but this was it and it's a beauty.

I am finally out of my funk and started sewing yesterday. It really was because of Mary my neighbour from Whitby who is visiting, said that it was time to get going on projects. So I started. I hope to do lots today and maybe get something to show you tomorrow.

I have been pressing and trimming my grandmother's little blocks. 2 7/8 is small for me to work with and I still have no idea what I will do when I finish with them. I have about 8 books from Helen to inspire me. I have a bunch of ideas rolling in this head, amongst other things in there, but as yet, no concrete idea as the fabric is mainly blue tones and I have no blues in my life of quilting...no pun, but today, I am happy, no blues at all.

One of our neighbours, not next to us thank goodness has decided that the path that has been in existance for 30 years for islanders to walk to and from each other is bothering them because the path is in front of their cottage....so he has asked us to walk in the back of the cottage. Good Grief! There's bugs, garbage, brush and no defined area, so it is quite difficult to find a spot.
I did try it but I had to balance myself by hanging on to their cottage and I could hear every word they said....it's just not safe and a few confrontations have ensued amonst the neighbours but not me yet.

So it reminds me of a story of a different cottager's solution on this lake. It seems that one guy, Mr Brown decided that he didn't like Mr Smith's grandkids running on the beach areas at the front of his cottage. He told Mr Smith to keep his kids on his own property and actually drew a line in the sand pointing out the property line. Now Mr Brown's wife was trying to calm him down and he was having none of it.

So...........Mr Smith called a local contractor, ordered fencing about 8ft high, instructing said contractor to install a fence on his property 12" from the property line and to please paint the fence on one side florescent orange....Got the picture?

So early one morning, the crew arrives with posts, diggers and installs about a dozen 8ft posts and proceeds to put up the fence. You can imagine the reaction from Mr Brown. He came yelling outside his cottage and asked what the h... they were doing? The contractor said that he had been instructed to put up a privacy fence 12" inside the property line and that Mr. Smith was on Mr Brown's property by about 12"....Mr Smith's wife came out and asked that the Brown's please come and discuss this. In the end, Mr Smith paid for the materials, the contractors 3 hours work ($45.00 per) and the removal of said fence.

Now, I don't think we are coming to that as the adjoining neighbours here will just stand firm I think and tell them to make a proper path and define it without us to make a march into the forest behind all our cottages. Stupid people I tell you. To cross the property takes about 15 seconds and it's only 2 or three people that do it and it's maybe once during any day...It's a cottage life and we are supposed to be relaxed here...oh well, it will work itself out.

I am having my coffee with you all this morning. My life is good, and I thank the persons who ever thought of satellites for internet!

16 comments :

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful rainbow. It looks like it is the end of the rainbow, so did you find the pot of gold?? Have a wonderful day :-)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Nanci so nice to have you back among us! I think you were going through computer withdrawal!! I know I do when I can't get on line every day while traveling. We get very connected to our blogging friends don't we.
Sounds like a solution is needed for your walking path - hope it works out soon so everyone can relax.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Kelly said...

Is it the ones on the other side of kath? Oh brother. But you have to admit that we practically walk on their deck to get by...

blushing rose said...

I love rainbows ... oh, how we have been thru neighbor 'junk' like this ... yuck!, to find out he was only a renter! Have a great day. TTFN ~Marydon

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Nanci,
Woo Hoo for technology. So happy you're with us again. What a beautiful picture...doesn't get any better than that.
Have a great weekend,
~Karen~

Wilma Lee said...

Loved the story!!!! Wish I had a cottage too.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Glad to have you back Nanci!! I would still walk the path until said owner cleared out a new spot, what if someone fell and got hurt. Have fun sewing!!!

Barb said...

It is great to have satellite, we do not....but we just got fiber optic on the island...so that is something to look forward to.

Crispy said...

You have a good eye, my girl, that rainbow picture is perfect!! Glad you are out of your sewing slump....it must be because you get all that inspiration from the blogs you read.

Crispy

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Wonderful rainbow. About that nutty neighbour you have--there is probably a law somewhere called public domain or something like that? Anyway I think what it is is that if people are using a certain pathway for many years, then they are entitled to use it. But it may be different in Canada? In New York, they close the street by Rockefeller Center once a year, in order to keep their assertion that it's private property.

Lindsey said...

Yea!!!! You're online! Rainbow is lovely...you lucky gal!

Jennifer said...

That's a fabulous rainbow! Can you perhaps suggest to the bear that it pays a visit to the neighbour who doesn't want you walking so close to his house?

Kimberly said...

Hi Nancy... so how were the German Pancakes?

Thanks for your visits!

Have a great weekend! Kimberly

Rose Marie said...

The footpath in the front of our cottage is public and anyone can use it. Our cottage is in Northern Ontario and I wonder if your path might be public domain as well.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Nanci,
I just wanted to leave you a message here, because I replied to 2 of your comments through email and both came back to me as undelivered. The actual error message said "had permanent delivery errors and unknown virtual mailbox". I know you have a new service at the cottage and was wondering if you were getting any other emails. My email system seems fine with other bloggers...we've have been conversing back and forth. I matched the error message to your email address and it was the same. If you need me to send you a test email at any point to see if it's working just let me know through my recent post. I'll try and send you an email back. Wow, sorry this is so long. I just feel bad if you aren't getting any emails up there.
Let me know,
~Karen~

Unknown said...

Ohhh so those are the goober neighbors...I get it. The fence story was hysterical...great idea. Some folks just need to see it from a different point of view...literally!