Monday, August 10, 2009

MODA JELLY ROLL ON THE MOVE!



A few weeks ago I bought a couple of Jelly Rolls !




One of them, Oh Cherry Oh! I am making nine patch with Crazy Mom Quilts, and the other.....




is what you see here. It's called Swanky Chez Moi...so very french don't you think? Anyway, here's what I did.




I sewed all 40 pieces of the Jelly together, well eight at a time. Then I cut these into 8" strips and joined all pieces together. I positioned them

so as not to have all the colours straight across by

taking two from one bottom, four from the next

and so on till I had them all lined up looking

good.



I then cut out 5" strips of white fabric and joined
the strips together. Now here is my "little"
problem.....I want to make it bigger than the
about 67" wide that I currently will have when it's finished with just white borders.


I want to add about 15" on each side. Do you think it would look like that's what I did? Of course I should have bought two Jellies, but I didn't. I am thinking of using one of the colours from the strips and adding that to the sides. What do you think?




I just love how this turned out and coins are such a quick and easy quilt to make. I couldn't believe how quickly it came together. I do have lots of white that I could use for more border, but that would be too much white. Help...suggestions please.



We had rain of course and today it's so very humid that my sweetie is having a hard time moving around. He really feels the humidity...Me? not too much. It's better than cold. So now it's Monday and it looks like another couple of days of high humidity and thunder storms...what else is new for us this summer heh? Then we are looking at next seven days of absolutely wonderful summer weather....it's still good because we are at the cottage dot calm!






































14 comments :

Unknown said...

I love Swanky.......so in love.....

Crispy said...

Hmmmm the only thing I can think of is maybe doing 3 borders, a white, then a fabric that might compliment the other fabrics and then another white. Maybe you can get enough yardage of the one fabric in that line that represents the others so well. Love the quilt btw.

Crispy

Barb said...

What a bright cherry quilt you have made....

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like you have been busy. It is hot and humid here and I am too busy with things in and out. I am sweating the humidity gets to me too! Love the quilt.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/the-three-bears/

free indeed said...

I would do a white border all around first so that the coins float. THen possibly you could use colors of the quilt to do a 2" squares all around then the white again. It is so lovely and spring like.

Micki said...

What a lovely, bright quilt! Great job!
Micki

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

First of all love it, if it was me, I would leave a white border and then bind it with a rainbow of the colors you used in the quilt.

Jocelyn said...

Sounds like you have gotten quite a few good suggestions. I know this is going to be a pretty quilt.

Jennifer said...

Oooh, pretty........perhaps a white border of the same width as the sashing strips, then perhaps pick one of the colours and/or fabrics that you really love for a wider border and binding to finish it off?

Lindsey said...

I'm with Jane ...that sounds cute as pie...can't wait to see it finished....you go girl!

free indeed said...

Tried to send a reply to your message to me and it keeps coming back with an error. THought I'd try directly from your site....oh, and I see you decided what to do for the quilt top, so nix that section in the note....
Shelley


Nanci, Limestone is only an hour away! My hubby has a sister living there too who taught kindergarten for the last 30+ years. If your relatives went to school there she would have taught them and probably knows them too....small world. One year (97), we took our kids on a cross country trip, clear out to the Pacific coast...the campground owner noticed our name and asked where we were from...his wife was from our neck of the woods! It just amazed us to see these 'connections' pop up so many times over the years...of someone knowing someone etc....
Just noticed your last name...I have relatives that are Stokes...originally from the Ohio area I think, married my mother's sister. Long shot that you'd know any of them though...but cool none the less.
ANyway, could you purchase a charm pack online of the same group of fabs to make those squares? YOu'd get 4 out of each charm. Or just use similar colors from the quilt from what is in your stash. The squares will be small so even if they don't match exactly, people will only see the color anyway, not the print.
Glad to hear from you and take care!
Shelley

Quirky said...

mmmm jelly rolls... I have been on a moda jelly roll kick. Unfortunately, I have only bought them thus far - the first because I wanted to try making a jelly roll quilt, and the second and third because they were so much cheaper than the first. I'm pretty sure this isn't healthy...

Millie said...

I love your bright jelly rolls and the coin quilt turn out so nice. Good luck with the quilting.

ellen said...

I made one of those back in May. I added a border just to make it larger but you could easily leave it with white and then do a fun colorful binding.

Here's mine.
http://ellenquilts.blogspot.com/2009/05/borders.html
Here's my inspiration.
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/02/stacked-coins-baby-quilt.html