Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I LOVE THIS SEWING TABLE!



Yesterday, I cleaned up my little sewing area that I have in the corner of the sun room at the cottage
.

It's quite amazing that so much mess can be made in such a small area. I am always leaving pieces of this and that on the sewing table. I also never put the cover on the machine and I think that I should as the room is usually open to the elements and can be dusty. I wonder if people take their machines in for cleaning annually. I was told to bring it to the shop for spring cleanings as a good care program for my Janome. I haven't decided yet.


I must say the sewing table is the best thing since sliced bread as far as I am concerned. It is always a hit for anyone who sews and does a bit of work here at the table. I can't imagine that I actually worked without this smooth gliding surface to piece my blocks till last fall. I am alway thankful that my sweetie included it in his birthday surprise for me!



I had a lot of little pieces of this and that left over from the winter and don't remember why I shoved them in the container to bring here to the cottage, but am glad I did. I am almost out of fabric here for projects. I have fabric, but not enough to complete any project. This is sort of a coin quilt top which I added the whites to it to make it really pop. I use the old suitcase that it is propped on to keep current projects, sewing supplies etc here. I found this little gem at Goodwill years ago. I actually have four of them, one is full of lego, but the others are empty and I keep thinking of painting them or covering them to look like quilts.


I think these suitcases cost about $3.00 each and were probably used for overnight bags when first made. I also had a couple of makeup bags like these but the grandkids took them for cars and barbie doll suitcases. When the kids were little, there was always a suitcase for crafts, one for dolls, one for cars, and one for the lego.. Now the lego one has been refilled a few times, all using second hand lego from goodwill or garage sales. It's the colours that the kids liked that were different and so they were "borrowed"


The suitcases are becoming a rare find these days as it seems that people are collecting them for whatever reason. I always look for them everytime I am shopping secondhand. So handy for different uses.


We are having a great beginning to the weather this morning, other than having to put the spaceheater on because it is chilly here in the sunroom. It's lovely on the deck and I am taking my coffee out there while the lake is calm, the fish are jumping at bugs, and the hummers are happy for the warmth, as I am. We are expecting rain of course and yesterday about 30 miles south there was a small tornado that touched down and did some minor damage. What a summer! I just heard on the news that by Christmas it is supposed to warm up! Honest!


9 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a tornado so close to you - wow I didn't know you had them so far north! but the weather is so crazy this year who can be surprised.
I have a Janome and was told to bring it in about every 18 months to get it serviced unless I used it really often. I took it the first time and they did their stuff and then they closed 4 months ago and I haven't figured out where to take it again next. I do not use it a lot so I think I am ok for awhile. I will have to take it to one of the cities I fear and then will need to go back again to get it - a pain in the butt to say the least.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Crispy said...

I really love the look of your sewing table. Ya know if you aren't making a mess while sewing your aren't creating LOL.

Crispy

Barbara Sindlinger said...

I bring my machines in every year for their annual check up. I know they get into places that I can't access and clean and lube it. I also live in a place with a lot of humidity due to a swamp cooler, so I know it needs cleaning at the end of summer to prevent rust.

Love the idea of old suitcases for storage of quilts and things.

Barb said...

Love your sewing table, especially in such a fun area of your home...all those windows...

Quirky said...

Suitcases from second hand stores rock! I got a one in Scotland for £1 that I use all the time when I travel. Come to think of it, I got 3 shirts there and I wear them all regularly!

I take my (old, second-hand) Bernina in about once every 2 years, and I am always amazed at how much better in runs afterwards.

Micki said...

Love the sewing table! It looks so good!
Micki

Yvette said...

I love your view! I wish I could have something to look while I am sewing. Must be great on a rainy day.

Oh, I really like your sewing table too. LOL!

Lori Holt said...

I enjoyed reading about your surroundings...so peaceful and beautiful. I can see why you are enjoying your summer...you have everything that you need:)
x Lori

Carol E. said...

Wish I could get a better look at the suitcase. Do you find that they smell musty and stinky when you pick them up at Goodwill? That's one of my objections to old suitcases.