Wednesday, October 14, 2009

CLOSING THE COTTAGE

This weekend which was Thanksgiving for we Canadian, was extremely cold with the sun coming out only for Saturday. The men decided to take out the docks because the regular guy decided to retire and we hadn't heard whether the new guy (a lot of guys) would show up.

Anyway, it was a huge endeavour that took the men all day to just get the two docks you see up on the beach near by. As a result the men were just exhausted on Saturday night and had their brawn shown up by a 72 yr old guy that is so fit that he put all the others to shame.

I think the "men" are now thinking that exercise
is not such a bad thing after all.





Unortunately Sunday was a disaster day for all of
us here at the lake. The men rested. It rained. It snowed. It then
sleeted. It was to say the least very cold also
as we had big winds. There were three heaters in
the sunroom to keep it liveable and the wood
burning stove going full bore.


I think that next year, we won't be doing Thanks
giving here at the cottage. It's just too iffy weather.

But speaking of the feast...it was awesome and with Mary stuffing the beast we had, a delicious apple-turnip bake, broccoli, and mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie and my raspberry thing, we ate well.

So........tomorrow we leave and I am leaving with
the memory of this little tree that sits at our shore
line. Everything looks so pretty when the sun shines, the breezes are light even if it is brisk outdoors.

Oh, and we now have raccoons on the island. I have some amazing bins that they can't get into but have tried so they are tipped over, and the wonder dog is sniffing like he knows something I don't....


9 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Sounds like wonderful weather :) Nanci I think all over the place we are having weather cooler than normal for this time of year - but I must admit even though it is cooler than normal here in Arkansas I have only had our heat on off and on to get the chill out - I have not had to have the fire place roaring and we have not had even one snow flake! Sounds like you ate well even if it was chilly.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh, I feel sad, I guess Summer really is over....
It sounds as if you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
Be safe going home.

Micki said...

It must have been sad to leave the cottage. The pics are just lovely, and I loved the autumn leaves.
Micki

Barb said...

I have had so much fun visiting you at your cottage....you go back next year? Hope so.

susan@tickledpaisley said...

I was getting cold just reading about the weather! But good comfort food usually does the trick! You must be sad to leave though - it is such a beautiful place! happy sewing!

Crispy said...

Oh I'm so sorry your last weekend was spoiled by the weather. It must be sad to leave each fall...but there is always next spring :0)

Crispy

Susan In Texas said...

Ah yes, docks. What memories that brings back! I remember once in about 1975 "helping" my Dad put the dock in at our cottage in Wisconsin. I remember it was Good Friday and it came early that year. I built up the campfire and toasted a blanket while my chubby, polar bear of a Dad went into water up to his earlobes, water that had been ice only days before. It took him about 10 minutes and he came out white and shivering. I remember wrapping him in the toasted blanket and rubbing him until he pinked-up again. lol Hypothermia? Nonsense. It's just bracing!

All the best,
Susan
http://susanintexas.blogspot.com

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a gorgeous view! Hope your trip home was safe!

Suze said...

what an adventure...
feast sounds delish - Happy Thanksgiving!..is there a recipe for the apple-turnip bake??