Saturday, October 17, 2009

A GIFT FOR MY MOTHER!

When we left the cottage on Thursday afternoon
we took about an hour to get warm in the car. I
even had the seat heater on to warm my butt!


On Thursday morning it was 24 F. and needless to say that was a bit chilly. We did have the wood stove and an electric heater on in the main part of the cottage, but when my sweetie put up the final three shutters it blocked any sunlight and it was cold!

Since we had the final packing to do even though the previous day we had taken a boat load over to the truck, we still had the final stuff to take.

Thank goodness we did get rid of the majority
of our goods as the new dock guy (guys) came
to remove the final little dock and we were
almost hitting bottom with the boat as the
water was so low. It would have been almost
impossible to load the boat after that.


The boat was then moved to the neighbours dock and we had to bring the motor right up out of the water as we were almost on bottom there too. Let me tell you it was a feat to get into the boat when we finally left. I almost had to jump down the water was so low, and of course the wind was blowing like a good thing.

And did I mention that it was cold? Yes it was a north east wind at about 15 miles per hour and my sweetie who is never cold actually had to keep coming in to warm up when he was draining the water.


So we left, it was in sunshine at least and the
wind was at our backs. We are not staying this
late next year...I'm just too old for this nonsense!




When the kids left on Monday, you can see here in the photo that it was cold as everyone is bundled up to the nines.


Except of course the grandson who just doesn't feel the cold! He was barefoot all weekend! Just
before they were leaving he asked his mom if she
knew where his shoes were and had she brought
him socks! It was also the first time he had put
on his jacket too!





Here he is reading in the bunkie in bare feet while the rest of us were bundled up. His mother says his feet needed scrubbing when he got home!



Do you blame us for leaving? Look at the storm which was the snow going across the lake on Sunday and Monday. We usually are in the mid 50s at this time of year! Everyone in North America is complaining of the weather.


You can see here in the photo that I still have flowers in bloom, the grasses are blowing in the wind and the snow is passing by.
So I brought most of my quilts home, forgetting the first nine patch I made in the new bunkie but
that's ok as I have lots here anyway, but I did
want to give it to one of the kids.
But best of all is the gift of love! I took my nine patch Oh Cherry Oh! to my mother and put it on her bed. She loves loves it! I had to bring staff into her room for her to show what I had been doing this summer!
Being 90 yrs old with some dementia, she just kept stroking it and looking at the bright colors.
She kept saying thank you and said it was just plain "pretty beautiful".
It doesn't get any better than that does it?

10 comments :

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

You are much tougher than I would be! I love the story about your mom. And love that quilt, too!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Yes you are tougher than me - I would have most likely left the cottage a month ago when it was warmer! It does sound like a nice place though and that you and your family really enjoy the place. Yes it is chilly here too but at least the rain left us a couple days ago.
Glad you mother likes the quilt - that is always nice when you know someone really likes the quilt you give them.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jocelyn said...

How very sweet. I am so glad that your Mom is enjoying the quilt. It is beautiful!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

You know I was going to comment on the cottage, your family and the weather, BUT, after I saw your quilt and heard about your MOM, you are right, "it does not get any better than that"

Barb said...

That is sooo sweet, glad she liked your quilt.

Anya said...

Even though we had now here, I suspect you were much colder. Lovely story about your mom and the beautiful quilt.

Anya said...

Oops, I meant "even though we had snow here..."

Rosalyn Manesse said...

We had a heat wave here in So. Cal. and it was 90 degrees. It'll be "cooler" next week, though, down to 75. Now on to the important stuff--that's the nicest 9 patch I ever saw! Best wishes to your Mother.

Micki said...

The quilt is drop dead gorgeous...no wonder she loved it!
Micki

Nanette Merrill said...

What a sweet sweet quilt. It is perfect. And the colors are beautiful. Nice job.