Wednesday, March 17, 2010

THE LAST ORANGE QUILT, I MEAN IT!





I am so sick of using up my stash! I just don't think I can go on with this commitment! Honestly, it's really hard to do week after week.

.
I've made a dint in it, I used up all the red squares that I had, well only 4 others left, but I threw them in the garbage bag...I'm done with them!


On the other hand, I still have so much orange left over,
and I don't think I have enough time left in years to use
it all. Really! It seems that I must like the brightness
of what it is, but using it all the time is just making me
stressed out!


On Saturday, I started using the little orange and white triangle squares, and used up some of the same size in just squares, I had to add white because I had to finish using up the stuff!

.
It's probably a crib size and actuallly looks ok, but let me tell you I am having withdrawal jitters as I just am sick and tired of looking at orange!

.
Needless to say, I didn't have a hard time finding something to put on the back...yep, lots of prints in these colours also.




.
I s'till have scraps of orange left over, I still have some of the dots in orange and white left over, but to tell you the truth, I'm putting it all in a ziploc bag and putting it away at the bottom of my stash.

.
I'm going to spend money and buy fabric and if I look at orange again....shoot me, I mean it...do it...

.
The top quilt is for my sister in law's birthday. She doesn't read my blog so I know that she won't see this, and as she is tall, this quilt will be well used. The back is beige and it is a simple quilt.

.
We are having glorious weather, I mean glorious. Yesterday, I did my hand work outside and actually had to come in as it was so warm in the back yard. Wahoo for all of us who know that spring is so close. Crispy also warned me that she may be sending us a snow storm from the Dakotas, so I'm not going to get the shorts and sandals out today. Some green though as I shall look wierd at bridge without it...







20 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Orange is one color I have very little of in my stash. It has never been a favorite but it is good in small doses to me. We all have such likes and dislikes don't we. The quilt as you made it looks great though. We have been in the 60's mostly here and it has been feeling good - I could do without the little bugs that are coming back though now that it is spring.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

SewCalGal said...

I've also enjoyed using fabrics in my stash by trying to focus on one color, or a few colors, and make as many quilts as possible. I recently did this with all my pastels. Prior to that was greens. Quite fun! Yours are lovely.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I like your orange and white quilt! Just enough color to make an impression:) I have a feeling you won't need anyone to keep you from buying orange.

The weather here is drizzly and cloudy and hasn't been out of the 50's much. The next couple of days are supposed to be nice, though. Crossing my fingers!

Shirley said...

Everything I make ends up mostly pink. Even without trying it ends up pink. I do buy other colours but they usually get left out. I am noticing how neat and tidy those shelves are behind that last quilt. The weather report here is that it has been a nice day. Pleasant. Roll on warmer days - I think they are coming.
Shirley.x

pwl said...

Your orange and white quilt is lovely!

I thought *I* didn't have any orange in *my* stash. Until I heard it's my grandniece's favourite colour - and then I saw it everywhere! LOL

Isn't this weather glorious? I saw a robin yesterday, and again today. And I think we're heading to the Lake Grill for brunch on Saturday. Life is good. :)

Sue-Anne said...

I love your quilts Nanci and you are to be commended for using your stash! I think you deserve a little retail therapy.

We are having beautiful weather here in Australia too. Crisp mornings and evenings, with the last couple of days getting to 30C. It's so nice to sleep with the quilts up around the shoulders.

kelly said...

Lovely Mom...what happened to you today I thought you were dropping in?

Val - Apple Cottage said...

I think you've done well to put a dint in your stash. I know how hard it is to do that. Now that you're all "oranged" out, what colours are your new fabrics going to be.
Glad you're enjoying the warmer weather. We pleased to have sent it your way!! We're looking forward to some cool for a change, although at the moment we have a cyclone hovering around our north Qld coast. Just waiting to see what it does.

antique quilter said...

I have very little orange in my stash, lots of cheddar though!
I think you need to treat yourself to some new fabrics, its not worth being unhappy about!
The quilt is very nice and I am sure your SIL will appreciate it!

Barb said...

Sorry, I found humor in your post....made me smile. I do love the orange quilt...looks wonderful...and yes...go buy you some fabric....will do a world of good for you!!

Shay said...

Love the flowery quilt. It just speaks to me somehow. It really DOES look like Spring.

Heather said...

Just stopped by from TheCuttingEdgeQuilt, I love the orange quilt you put together. I don't have a lot of orange in my stash and this makes me want to get some. It's such a nice springy color!

PS. I just saw the weather map, and Crispy is right the nasty "S" stuff is on it's way...maybe it will end up more north of both of us!

Crispy said...

NO I didn't!!!!! ROFL I wouldn't send anyone snow if I could help it, I'm so dang sick of the stuff. So far we only have a slight chance of it here but that can always change.

Go buy yourself some pretty new fabric, girl friend, you deserve it!! I love both of the quilts but you deserve a little treat :0)

Crispy

Lisa Marie said...

I love the Orange!! I don't have any in my stash and I have never quilted with orange! Orange is such a happy color! The quilt you made is lovely!
Everything I make is wither Green & Pink or Burgundy. I think I need to try some orange.

Nanette Merrill said...

I know you're ready to move on past the orange Nanci but I still am loving it. Your work is awesome.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Well, it's a fun quilt. I inherited an enormous stash 6 years ago, and I must have nearly 6 more years of fabric to go!

Harmony Hopes Studio said...

Have you thought of hand dying your fabrics. I started about 3 years ago. I love painting the pieces with the dyes. An extra step but I almost enjoy the making of the fabric to the making of the quilt. One thing for sure is you will never see another piece like the one you make. http://fabricdyeing101.blogspot.com/ Everything you need to find out to get started. Go, Nanci Go.
Penny

Anonymous said...

Looks great. Bring some orange pieces to the lake. I'm sure we'll find a good use for them. Only a few more weeks before we open the cottages!!! We are in Pheonix and heading home tomorrow - call you then. Helen

Micki said...

I love your quilts...Funny enough, I never made an orange quilt.
Micki

Unknown said...

In the past I have not been an orange fan, but for some odd reason, I now don't mind it. I too am working through my stash and like you, am sick of shopping my stash.I like the comment of dying some of the stash - maybe a bit of creativity will help. Maybe a swap would be the answer.