Saturday, January 1, 2011

COMPUTER COVERS

Happy New Year everyone!

I wasn't going to blog this morning, but
having had a request from a grand-
daughter who is going back to university
in the next couple of days and since she has a new "notebook" computer, it needed a cover.
.
When I picked up the notebook, she also presented me with the laptop that needs
a cover too since she is travelling to Florida this winter.
.
I tell you, since learning to sew straight
lines due to the quilting thing...known
as an addiction in this house...I made
both of these with my walking foot.
.
Basically, I measured the width and length, added about 1 1/2" to each side of the width, doubled the length, added about 10" for good measure , cut some bindings to finish the project.
.
Easy to do. I quilted the fabric, then added the binding to the short end (at the pocket) then sewed down one side of the envelope. I then inserted the computer, marked the other side so it was snug, but not too snug to insert computers and sewed this. I put the binding on, sewed by machine...I know, I know, but she's leaving tomorrow, so it had to be finished.
.
I used little round velcro glue ons to make the closures, but put a few stitches to the velco to secure them as I didn't know if they would stick for good.
.
It took about an hour to make each from start to finish. A great gift idea and I may make her some more in different colours as a change up.
.
We had chinese food for New Years' eve, played our favourite games, but try as we might, we had to leave Bob and Mary before midnight as we were so tired from our day of travelling for my sweetie's pre op which is about an hour and a half from our house. Then back home, and New Year celebrations....just too much for us!
.
So a new year begins. New project ideas will come forth from all of us, some new blog friends will come into our lives to make us just a bit more grateful that we have all connected. I'm happy!
.
PS...the fabric is from Liz Claiborne...you know me I don't remember who is who, but this was from a favourite designer for me, so I remembered her name.

12 comments :

Shirley said...

Happy New Year to you Nanci. The cases for the technology look great and well done to a finish for the start of the year.
Love Shirley.x

Micki said...

Happy New Year, and your cases are so cute!
Micki

Barb said...

How very clever, love the cases and to make different ones...she will be a hit where ever she goes.

Happy New Year!!

Sunshine said...

Good job Nanci - much better than mine... I followed Anne's (of Film and Thread) tutorial, measured and added etc, but somewhere along the way, I must have croppsed too much, because the cover fits so snuggly, that I think it might cause damage to my laptop - or maybe I made the right cover, and my laptop gained some Christmas pounds??? Anyway, now I must find something else that fits :)

Your new year's sounds a lot more fun than mine - all my friends travelled home, so I read and missed midnight entirely :)

Cheers,
Christine

Jennifer said...

Great first projects for the new year! Obviously starting as you mean to go on.

Shay said...

Beautiful computer sleeves. Where were you a month ago when I was worrying myself stupid about getting one of these done for Miss P's laptop as a Christmas present? It never occured to me it could be so simple!

Happy New Year to all of the Nanci clan!

Quiltgal said...

Hi Nanci,

Happy New Year, Your the winner of my Giveaway so please email me with your address.

Harmony Hopes Studio said...

Could you be my Grammy too? I have an iPad too! They are wonderful.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Happy New Year. lovely covers, and the aprons are super!

Pokey said...

Oh, you are the second person I read saying they had Chinese food, and that sounds so good. Maybe tomorrow...
:-}pokey

Crispy said...

What a wonderful gramma you are!! The covers are wonderful :0) You did much better than Bob and I, we were in bed by 9pm....such an exciting couple we are LOL.

Happy Belated New Year my friend!!

Crispy

Shannon said...

Happy New Years! Those are wonderful.