Saturday, February 26, 2011

FAVOURITE THINGS FRIDAY....ON SATURDAY.

 It's been a long winter, I wish it was warm, I wish I was in the Caribbean!

This winter, what with the knees and hips being in repair it was not to be.

So I gaze at photos taken by  people who are there.  Many of them are on the British Virgin Island sites which is where I'd prefer to have gone.

The turtles are protected in the BVI,
so one sees large ones during day
sails.  Not unusual to see dolphins
either during this time of year.


Then of course the surfing at Cane Garden Bay can be pretty hairy what    with the pelicans vying for the fish in the surge that rushes to the beach....or what is left of it after rough seas out of the north.

But if one wants peaceful, then  go to Smuggler's cove for the day to snorkle, and just sit sipping rum punches or pina coladas.  This beach is secluded, no one lives there so it's quiet most of the time.  Except of course when the cruise ships come into Roadtown, then three thousand people a day could descend on this once tranquil little island. 

But mostly, I'd sit on the beach, read, sip this and that and watch the world go by.  What's a person to do in paradise anyway?

At day's end,  I'd get ready to have dinner at a beach restaurant, watch the sunset, revel in the beauty of our earth as night falls on our beautiful tropics.

I was lazy yesterday, wanted to post, but I'm still in the winter funk.  I'm not sewing but knitting as I try to find my creative juices....and sunshine to make me feel warm and fuzzy.


15 comments :

Kirsten's Cooking said...

I just read on your comment that your mom owned a beach bar in the British Virgin Islands!!!!!! So, how often did you visit - or did you live there, too?

I am desperately in need of some sunshine and your pictures make me wish I could snap my fingers and be in them!

I've never been to the Caribbean (unless Cancun counts - and I know it doesn't) - but I hope once our kids are grown that we can travel!

Thanks for sharing!!

Bunny said...

What gorgeous photos and yes we were lucky enough to have just come back from a Caribbean Cruise our very first. Sure was not long enough but grateful we were able to go. Now saving up for another one next year. Hope you feel better and soon the tulips will be popping up. Hugs

Susan In Texas said...

Oh yeah! That sounds nice. I love turtles. A few years ago, DH & I went down to Padre Island on the Gulf for Thanksgiving - instead of hoards of teens, we had the place to ourselves. They have a wonderful bird-watching preserve there, and a turtle rescue facility that gave tours and talks. You could feed the turtles that were too damaged to be returned to the sea. Some of them were HUGE. They had private swimming pools for the largest ones. We bought a book, and my husband still wears his turtle t-shirt. 8)

As to the Pierre Lapin quilt, he'll be given away at some point. I'm hoping he'll turn out nice enough to be a good silent auction item. So keeping him clean will be S.E.P. (someone else's problem) ;)

Thanks for the memories,
Susan in Texas

Anonymous said...

The photos are beautiful. It will not be long before we are all back at our island paradise. There will not be turtles but those damn beavers may be back to harass us! The "hummers" will be buzzing our heads before too long. Keep smiling!
Helen (aka your PT)

Leslie said...

the beach sounds like fun!

Jennifer said...

Looks lovely and peaceful! But I tell you what, you can have all that lovely beach to yourself and I will find a mountain hideaway - because I sunburn easily. We'll meet in a bar after sunset and tell each other about our days!

Shay said...

It's summer here but a holiday anywhere tropical sounds delightful. Your pictures made me wish I could afford to take off and just relax for a while (which is so sad because I just finished holidays )

The sun is coming Nanci - hold on a little while longer. And when you're at your cottage and the depth of winter arrive here I can live vicariously through your personal photos!

Penny said...

I hear you. I'm knitting too. Made an envelope for Victor's Kobo eReader today and what a fight at the machine.

Kirsten said...

Wow, with those beautiful pictures and this wonderful post I should make your post my FTF for next week...I am gonna save thi sin my favourites and look at it again and again...almost like a mini vacation.

Crispy said...

It would be so nice to be where the sun is actually warm instead of a threat to give a person snow blindness. It really will be spring again...I'm sure of it!!

Crispy

Kate said...

I'm with you on wanting the warmth. We did get a couple of warm days last week, but it's back to being cold and drippy. Thanks for the pictures of all the potential fun in the sun.

Quiltgal said...

I anjoyed a mini vacation looking at your photos
and yes that is my license plate.

Micki said...

During the winter, that sounds wonderful and relaxing!
Micki

Penny said...

Just looking at the turtle,Victor and I just inherited a painted turtle in a 50 gal tank from friends who were desparate to get rid of it. Victor has always wanted one. They are playful. We are going to inhance his environment and give him an exciting life. Oddly, Victor's nickname is Tortuguita which in Spanish is little turtle.The environment is being really hard on the turtles in the southern hemisphere.

fabricartist21 said...

Oh I wish you could be there too. I love places like that but I also love the snow country. I was born and raised in the snow country and now live in South Texas and do not like the heat.