Wednesday, August 24, 2011

TORNADO WARNINGS, RAIN, WIND...WHAT TO DO?

 Well, I got creative...Look at the kitchen mess!  I decided to bake!

Obviously I haven't done this in a long time, but honestly in less time that it took to make the butter tarts....see below,,,, the kitchen was totally cleaned.


Thanks to a dishwasher which takes only 13 litres of water to do all of the above mess, I was free to relax.

When we came to this place we call home now, we never ever thought of a dishwasher..not at a cottage I said...well a new kitchen and research of how much water goes into the septic system....voila!

The dishwasher is what every visitor says is so neat about coming here when cleaning up the kitchen. 

Only we women know what a mess we can make as we cook/bake whatever.

So, today, a terrible day at the lake, winds howling, trees bent, and tornado warnings on the radio to just make our day that much more stressful here since  we are alone on the island.

So, first our granddaughter Alex wanted crispy macaroni and cheese...note the butter.  It will be crispy.

Then, since we are going away for a few
days tomorrow and of course I have peaches, I made the little loaves of peach bread.  Came from Southern Cooking site.  I will let you know how it turns out as we haven't tried any  yet.

Then, because my daughter has been bugging and bugging for butter tarts, I made some.  No one that makes tarts like these can't get away without the stickies.

So, when we leave tomorrow for a few days
to see the grandkids who do sprint racing in canoes and kayaks (you know those two),we are taking tarts.

They will be surprised.

Oh and just so you know, the warnings have just been lifted for our area, but the winds are still rocking our boats such that we cannot go onto the docks to check them.

And how was your day?





9 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL - when you go on a baking kick - you do it right :)
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Shay said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm butter tarts. Remember when I made those on your recommendation last year? Im working with a Canadian lady now and I keep trying to talk her into making some more for a team meeting.

All that baking looks delicious. When I bake I have to use every possible, pan, plate, bowl and sppon in the house.

My Wednesday was insanely busy. Lots of finalising stuff for my dead car. Car shopping will come next.

Shay said...

Can you tell it's early ? naturally I meant spoon...

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are a whirling Dervish. The goodies look fabulous.
Courtney and Jeremy will devour the tarts. What a carb boost! Wish them well in their events.
This weekend is our ROQUA reunion weekend so we will miss seeing you. The neighbours may not appreciate our lively friends (and I care?)
We'll see you Labour Day weekend. Travel safely!
Helen (your P.T.)

Susan In Texas said...

Looks really yummy! Wish I lived next door; I would stop by whenever I heard the dishwasher running. ;)

Susan in Texas

Jennifer said...

Yummo, butter tarts.....last weekend I made butter tart squares which are also very yummy, recipe is from Canadian Living. The peach bread looks good too!

Crispy said...

Boy would I love to have a dishwasher but I don't want to give up my cabinet space...oh well LOL. It's good to hear you were safe and sound after the storms, it does worry me that you are there alone! The butter tarts look a bit like the Chestarts that mom once made with raisins and currents and other yummy stuff.

Crispy

Barb said...

Oh my gosh, I am coming there....hang on.....

Jocelyn said...

Oooo yum peach bread!! You have to share the recipe, or the site where it is located.