Friday, September 16, 2011

FAVOURITE FRIDAY...."F"


 Friday...the end of the week, welcoming the weekend with Friends.  I love the letter "F"  it stands for so much.

Finished...yep, that's a beauty word!  Finis was what I thought when I finished this quilt.  It's scrappy with totally left over fabrics, but wow does it ever look fantastic.

For sure, quilts just don't look finished
till the quilting is done.

The next quilt was from Walmart Jelly that I bought for $12.00.  A great find and totally awesome, and fabulous.

Finishing the backs of quilts is always a dilemna for me.  What to pick, and how will it look makes me frazelled at time.  Not for this baby.

The back is almost as good as the front.  I also did a bias binding to really pop the quilt.

Finding the right back was a bit of a challenge to find the right fabric to compliment the front.

By putting a black sashing on the back, the same colours, practically are on the back.  The effect is quite flashy.

Finally, thank you to Barb of Bejeweled Quilts, who sent me the jelly fabrics from Samoa last autumn when I was laid up with my hip surgery.

I actually had pieced all these tops last winter while recouping, but just couldn't do the finishing of the quilts.

The back of the quilt which is not shown is the blue of the front.
This quilt is cute beyond belief.  My sweetie who knows I don't do blue well, just loves this.  I do too so it will be a keeper for me to remember the generosity of Barb.   Thank you again.

Finally, F is for fire...we are burning wood to warm our little cottage this morning.  The coolness of the mornings is quite shocking after a warm night under the duvet....The outside temp was just above freezing this morning and the inside a few degrees warmer.  Brrrr...or Frrrr. 

Finished projects make us all happy.  So for now, Friday fun at the cottage begins with 'F"


  1. 

15 comments :

Michele said...

Love all your quilts! I could use some cooler weather.

Susan In Texas said...

They are all pretty, but I love the little squares. I think I recognize some of Barb's batiks in there. Gorgeous!

Happy quilting,
Susan in Texas

Barb said...

Your quilts are just lovely...will brighten up any space. You did wonders with that jelly roll!!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

The quilts are fabulous! Fall is definitely on its way.

petra said...

Wow, I love quilt #2! It's different and so colorful. Really nice.

Jennifer said...

Your quilts are really terrific! Well it's past the middle of September now, it couldn't stay lovely forever you know.......

Shay said...

I recall when you started the black and rainbow quilt. It turned out so beautifully! And yes- that is the perfect back.

I commented to a friend recently that I really hate doing backs because by then I've run out of creative steam. I see you've had no such problems!

The top quilt is amazing. Even more so when you consider it was done from scraps.

I completely agree that it's not over till the quilting is done. Sometimes that can make a so so quilt look fabulous. (Or at least that's what I hope with most of my creations!)

Love all your finishes Nanci and I hope you have a terrific weekend.

Marg said...

Love all your quilts Nanci. They are all so different but they are fabulous finishes.

Unknown said...

I really love your quilts! I want to start on one but have been holding back for some reason. I just found your blog and am now following you! Come on over and follow us too! I want to keep in touch with you for inspiration. I'd love having you! Hugs! Loretta

thea said...

I love that your favorite was brought to us by the letter "f". Love all the finishes!

Shirley said...

A fabulous, fun-filled, feast for the eyes.

Michelle Ridgway said...

A cache of beautiful quilts there and a "F"antastic post.

Larri said...

Wow! Beautiful quilts you've created! Fabulous favourites. Thanks for sharing. Happy FTF! ☺

Kelly said...

Nice Mom! I love the pics of Dales cottage too!

seabreezequilts said...

Finishes are just so my Favourite Thing, sadly been lacking in that department myself. Lovely quilts, catch you again next week oppps that would be tomorrow