Monday, September 19, 2011

FIRST QUILTS...

This is Helen's first quilt.  She says that
she did all the wrong things one does when quilting.

She began by seeing that there was a course in "english piecing" I think she said.  She had the pink print which was all cotton to make a dress for one of her girls.

The light blue and dark  were  given to her by a friend and Helen says that they both had poly in them.  The white was cotton.

This quilt is hand cut, hand pieced, hand quilted.  Now the fact that this took her about ten years to make is remarkable to me....I just don't have the attention span to take on a quilt of this size.

  However, her Grandmother's Garden quilt is soft from use by Andrea and is much loved.  It's beautiful in its composition, with knowing the details that Helen put into the project makes it all the more loving.  There is also a label which Helen just wrote and then cross-stitched the date etc.

That in itself was so fine that the camera didn't capture the work.  I might try with another camera one of these days.

After this class she was hooked on quilting
and continued to take classes in the many
aspects of hand quilting and design.

This, is my first quilt...no lessons here folks.  cut with a rotary on a 12" matt and a 12" ruler.

I still have some of the 280 squares left in a little stash somewhere.  I cut so many of the orange and white that finally my sweetie asked how many did I really need.

Only about 120 to make it work so you can understand so many extra orange squares.

The fabrics were sheets, $4.00 for the orange, $2.00 for the white and the back print which was fish or some such.  I have redone the binding on this because the first attempt was looking like I had rolled a cigar in the fabric.  The other part was that I had to add some width to the quilt because I didn't realize that the quilt would "shrink" somewhat when putting it together.

I bought polyester batting...boy was that hard to put the basting through.  I almost quit right there and then.

Trust me, this didn't happen on Helen's quilt. 

Undaunted, as we all are when we love this craft, I made another and another with the same 12" tools.  Then I saw the large matt on sale....wahoo!  Life became so easy!

What was your first quilt....did you take lessons?   I've only learned from the lessons Helen gives me when I hit a wall of what to do.  Patience is not in my dna.

We are battened down today as the lake is roaring, the wind is howling all around us.  Only the brave will be out on the lake today.  There is only one other person down the way on our little island.

We are 11 days without our bear visits.  We are all hoping that we have seen the last of the pesky guy. 






8 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

My first quilt was a patchwork with scraps - I think I cut them in 5 inch squares and they were a mixture of all kinds of fabric, I hand pieced it all and guessed as I went - no lessons, never have had a lesson. Finally just got some books and looking at photos and figured out how to do it. I do not have my earliest quilts, some fell apart due to not made well and lots of washing!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Shay said...

I don't think I realised that your orange quilt was the first one you ever made. I remember when I first saw that and commented that orange isn't usually a colour I favour but your quilt looks so beautiful.

I think we all make lots of quilting faux pas when we start out. The trick is not to repeat those same mistakes but to make new ones as we go along. It's all part of the learning process!

The first quilt I ever finished was made from chenille. It's very heavy and snuggly. That was about three years ago I think.

Let's hope the bear has gone off for early hibernation!

Unknown said...

I am still visiting your and others blog, trying to get up enough courage to start my first. For some reason, I can't get started! When I read your post and comments however, I did figure out...you just have to go for it! I have been reading books and feel I have concepts, but that is it! Any suggestions? Need a little help!
Hugs! Loretta

Barb said...

Oh...both quilts look wonderful. I am self taught....with a few hints from this and that person....love your first quilt.

Mr. Bear will be back when he smells all that delicious food you cook....

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

My first first quilt was a doll quilt when I was 7 - then my other first quilt was for our first daughter - many years later - it was embroidered from a pattern that I sent away for, for 25 cents - from the newspaper. We've come a long ways from those days.

Both quilts you posted are beautiful - I love the stories behind them both. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

My first quilt was for our older son and was loved to death....he was a teenager at the time. It had 12inch blue Ohio Stars on a black background and I had it professionally quilted. I'm still proud of it - and after all, we all have to start learning somewhere, don't we?

Jocelyn said...

Both quilts look great. I actually never finished my first quilt. It was blocks that I made in my first quilting class. My quilting actually took off when I learned the Quilt in a Day method.

Shannon said...

Hello!! I have received the Versatile Blogger award from a blogger friend of mine. One of the rules is that after receiving this award you are to pass this award onto 15 bloggers that you feel also deserve it. I feel like you have inspired me in many ways and I would like to pass this award onto you. Please email me back with your answer about wither you will accept or decline. If you do not feel like at this time you can accept this award I will understand. I have the blog post waiting for your replay. Congratulations!!!