Monday, November 7, 2011

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR!

I have never been a fan of the changing times....It puts my rythym out of sinc for about three months.

What is the purpose?  I remember being told that the farmer could now milk his cows in daylight...duh...they have nighttime milking too!  Ok, I didn't believe that one.

So here we are now in the year 2011 and the Old Indian in my photo had it right.

An update on our life without cottage time for you.  We are at our friends' house in the city, doing this and that as they are almost ready to leave for Mexican holiday for two weeks.  Then we leave for Florida.

Our life has not been without drama.  About the second day we arrived, we saw a pesky mink trying to get into the fish pond.  The mighty dog Wilson scared the mink away.

So, it was decided by the owner of said pond to put out a trap to catch the mink.  The trap caught a little skunk!  The dogs discovered that little stinker!  Yes, they smelled!

So, then the house stank, the dogs stank to the point of airings and de skunking baths for the dogs.   Have you had experience with skunks?  Poor little things....anyway, a towel was put over the trap and then it was released.  All clothing was then put into a garbage bag but it took almost three days for the smell to be gone.

No more minks, and definitely no more skunk in back yard!

The weather has been fabulous, to the point that we think we could have still been at the cottage.  Oh well good to know for next year.

7 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have not had a run in with a skunk but we do have them in our area. Sometimes in the middle of the night you can smell them. I believe they have run in's with other animals and release their perfume :) even with windows and doors shut the smell somehow comes into the house. Usually takes an hour or two and it is gone. Now if the smell got on an outside pet (we have none now) maybe the smell would last longer. I have heard of people using cans and cans of tomato juice to bath in - it is supposed to work?
Karen

Jennifer said...

Love the Indian's take on daylight saving, so true! You know, I'm glad we don't have skunks here even though Pepe Le Pew is cute.

Shay said...

I enjoy daylight saving in Summer. Hate the fact it gets dark at 5 pm in winter though!

No skunks in Australia - thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,
Poor dogs and poor you! It has been a zoo around here and I HAVE been thinking of you both. Derek keeps saying that we all could still be at the lake - 18 degrees today in Burlington. I'll call you before the end of the week. Hugs to all!
Helen (your P.T.)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I had a friend who had a skunk walk leisurely into her house. She (the friend) jumped over the back of the sofa to try and get to the door (the back of the sofa was NOT against the wall) and get the skunk out of the house. The skunk walked out but my friend missed her jump - caught her leg on the back of the couch and fell and broke her leg. Glad yours was only stinky.

Michelle said...

That's the best explanation I've heard for Daylight Savings Time!

We've always got skunks passing through our yard late at night -- to the point where I swear they must have watches. They go buy and the smell wakes up my husband through the closed windows. I hear that there's a mink farm somewhere on the hill and that they attrat the skunks.

rosie said...

Nanci, I love that Indian poster!! We don't like Day light savings either...
Thankgoodness we don't have skunks!!