Monday, April 27, 2009

TO THE COTTAGE WE SHALL GO.....

We are going to open the cottage this week. I have been shopping in anticipation. I have lists for lists, you know the drill, making sure I don't miss anything, and then rechecking the master list again.

Then there is all the stuff we brought back last fall to fix or use or whatever, that has to be packed as well.

It's a huge undertaking for us as we are not getting any younger you know. The really good thing this year is that we do have the new lift to take everything to the deck. The photo is where we used to sit when it was really hot and the ottoman is where the dog likes to be, hence the little rug on it. But now, the gate of the elevator is right there, so we are adjusting our seating plan and have been moving it around the deck to see what works for us. There is a large, I mean really large hemlock which overhangs on the deck and gives us the shade so desired when it gets really hot. I'm not fond of hemlocks as they are really messy, but for the shade of the deck and the breezes it affords us, it's great.

I know that for those of us who are fortunate enough to have a cottage, cabin, trailors, or mobile homes to go to for R & R its a place where sometimes we work harder and enjoy doing it more.

We have lots of company, friends, relatives, and just other cottagers that stop by all the time. I am a bit of a loner, however, at the cottage I love people dropping by.

I am looking forward to the hummingbirds arriving in the next week, so you know it's going to get warmer. The annual baskets aren't at the nurseries yet, and I am hoping that Kelly, my gardening daughter and Kate, my gardening daughter in law will make sure I have beauties as usual.

So, I will try to post, in the next few weeks, although we will have dial-up. Lordy, I do hate dial-up with a passion, but I must blog...it's in my blood now..

Oh, my restored quilt was delivered to my aunt and uncle this past weekend. It was a huge hit and I felt so good to give it to them. I even put a label depicting the original blocks made in 1966 and my restoration 2009.

11 comments :

Lisa Pogue said...

Looks like heaven to me. What I would give to have a peaceful place to go!!! Have fun and enjoy. AND think of me in ole hot muggy Missouri...

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lovely deck! you said you have an elevator? please explain :)
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jocelyn said...

I know you are looking forward to your time at the cottage. Looking forward to hearing all about your cottage adventure, even if you DO have to use dial up :-)

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

This picture looks like it's straight from a magazine. Have a wonderful time at the cottage. That was such a treasure that you gave to your aunt and uncle. I'm sure they loved it.
~Karen~

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

have fun!

Jennifer said...

What a lovely spot! A good place to relax...don't get too stressed, now....*grin*

Crispy said...

You must walk around all summer with a big ol' smile on your face while staying at the cottage. I look forward to your adventures.

Crispy

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Dial Up, but we must blog!! I would live on your deck, drink my morning coffe, sew in the afternoon, and watch the sun set at night, how beautiful.....

Lindsey said...

That view!!!! You're living my dream life - a cottage, overlooking the water....paaaaleeeeaaaassseee! Guess what ...I got your fabulous fat quarters...I can't believe it ..they are so pretty, I feel like it's my birthday! Thank you Nanci for those...I've never won any blog goodies before! And...thanks for the sweet comments on my Quilt Festival quilt...I'm with you on that one!

Micki said...

What a wonderful place. I am sure that whenever you go there, you feel so peaceful and rested. It is really a dream place!
Micki

Kim D. said...

What a beautiful view. We built a home on a lake, it was our cabin in the woods. We sold it in 2003 and moved out of state, I sure do miss it. It was a great place for complete relaxation. I bet you get lots of quilting done in your peaceful setting.