Monday, January 26, 2009

COTTAGE DREAMING AGAIN!

















This is a partial photo of the old kitchen at the cottage. The brown is the panelling that was there and Jerry is doing a primer coat of Freshstart from Benjamin Moore on it. It's the best to cover panelling.



We then painted it a soft creamy yellow. Everything else is white in the old cottage so this really freshens it up. We lived with the kitchen for 8 years before finally doing it up. We bought Rona kitchen cupboards and Jerry put them up, with my supervision of course (oh yeah I am good at supervising). I handed the tools, held the cupboard against the wall and just oohed and ahhed at the work.







And here is the kitchen completed. We bought the new dishwasher at Home Depot. It's a lot lighter than the one we have at home, but goodness a dishwasher at the cottage!


We justified it because we live there for 6 months of the year. Kelly lost her job as chief dishwasher!




It was so exciting to have the drawers on the right there to put utensils without having to yank at the drawer to get a knife. The window looks out into the great room which Jerry also built from the bottom up. That's another day's postings.



On the left is the other end of the kitchen which before had the fridge and stove, with an old cupboard on the left to just hold pots and pans.






Now, it has pot drawers and the top drawer is for 'junk' can you believe it!






The fridge is from Sears that we bought when we built the great room and had the barge come across the lake, and at $1,000.00 for the day, at that time, we used it for everything. Looked like the Clampets on that day I tell you. We got the new fridge which was the largest we could find and the stove with self cleaning oven and as few gadgets as possible due to power surges we can get there. It's better than the fancy ones I have at home. Really!










On the right is the brown panelling that was painted a soft yellow and see below for what it looks like now. So different when painted.














You know, I probably said something about this kitchen before, but it's been so long and I am anticipating going back in April/May when the ice goes out on the lake, we leave to go to this place


The table is an old table that was at the cottage when we bought it. I think it's the only thing remaining of the original stuff that was there. Jerry took the old warped top off and built a new one in about 45 minutes! I waited 8 years for him to do that! Not like he wasn't busy in the meantime, anyway, the top I stained with puritan stain, painted the bottom a soft black and voila! It looks amazing. All the cheers of joy from Kelly were worth it as she had given us the art frame for Christmas to go in the place where we put it.



See what a difference the art work does. It was just what we needed to finish the kitchen. The flowers are real! Our new neighbours at the cottage live on a farm. They grow veggies and their neighbour grows those flowers. Each week I am presented with this beautiful bouquet of flowers. It always this big too! And the kitchen is just perfect!


I love the way the whole plan as they say came together.

10 comments :

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Beautiful, all I can say is JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!

Lisa said...

Hi Nanci,my name is Lisa.Ive just popped in.Im from New Zealand and I love to do all sorts of things.Love you cottage :-)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

loved looking at the photo's of the cottage - it looks so bright and cheery. White and pale yellow will do it every time I think. We are do for a remodeling in my kitchen also and I have been thinking of white cabinets but not sure as I hate to have to repaint every now and then.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Karen said...

Your cottage kitchen looks wonderful! Love the yellow walls. I too have painted panelling and it looks great. The table also looks great. My bedroom floor is stained in puritan pine. Such a warm colour.

From Scratch said...

Love the white cabinets and the pale yellow. It's so bright and cheery.

Lisa Pogue said...

Very cottagey, I like it a lot!!I have panelling under the wallpaper in my kitchen/dining area. I'm so very tempted to pull the paper down and paint the panelling, but I'm a big chicken! You are giving me some inspiration though.

Candace said...

Your cottage is beautiful. I think that all the work was worth it. (Of course, it wasn't me working)

Wilma Lee said...

Love the work on the cottage. It looks great. Don't you just love the word "cottage"?

Quiltgal said...

OMG what a beautiful cottage. I can imagine with that lovely soft buttery yellow that even if it is raining it would be lovely inside. Is that a mirror or a window over your kitchen sink?

Jodi Nelson said...

Just discovered your blog. So fun! And your little kitchen is fantastic! I love every inch of it. Thanks for sharing. ;o) ooxx`jodi