Saturday, January 31, 2009

SULKY KK 2000- WHITE QUILT

See this little can on the right? Well all I can say is WOW! What a great product! My sweetie
bought this for me in my bag of goodies for Christmas. I looked at it and didn't give it too much thought, well actually thought that the quilt store just gave him a sale for stuff they didn't sell much of.

Well I tell ya, (Sarah Palin style) it's the best little product! I used it sparingly, have done 2 quilts with this and still loads left. It went on so smoothly and I had lots of work time with it and was able to manoeuver the fabric as I smoothed the quilt. It saved me about 2 hours of basting, which is how I put a quilt together. My fingers weren't sore.
Enough shmooshing of this product. It does say that you must work within the 24-48 hours of spraying, and they mean it as I found out, but that's for another day.

One thing though, I changed needles in my sewing machine to do this. It worked much better with a new sharp needle.

So here is this little quilt. It's small and I just love it.It was supposed to be 48" square. But when I had cut out the corresponding 81/2" squares of all these colours, well it just looked like a dog's breakfast!
OMG it was awful is all I can say. So I got out the white and the little flowered print and took apart the combinations of the large squares and the nine patch and started all over again. Isn't this just the cutest little thing?


I just love the look of it with the white making the nine patch look so amazingly crisp. I know now that some of the problem with me doing quilting is that I just need to simplify my work and have much more fun with it.
Here is something else I learned. Try a new
needle for hand sewing. OMG (again) it made
the work so much easier. I do not have sore fingers from hand finishing.


So I posted the third photo to just show some of the
squares. I have of course so much fabric cut
out, but not to worry. I am going to do stacked
coins with it.

I do not remember being so sick of winter as I am this year. So much cold. Never mind the amount of snow that we have had! Its the cold that just gets to my bones even with a downfilled coat to walk my little westie. He wears a coat and loves to walk, but usually the wind just gets to my face and we must turn around.
It looks wonderful from the back patio doors though and very pretty to look at.
I am imagining the spring meltdown. There will be flooding for sure in some areas.
I've not been posting because Jerry has been working on the computer and he starts early in the mornings. I'm sure I'll get some time next week though.

8 comments :

Anya said...

Very nice quilt, Nanci. I like the way you used the white fabric...it makes the blocks really pop.

Anonymous said...

I always love how white makes the blocks pop too. I am in the works with the Cottage Quilting Bee to do something with white. Nine patch was the first quilt my mom taught me to do.

Would love to see a closer view of the prints in this quilt. It's very pretty.

I'll be back to see what you're up to!

Susan In Texas said...

Nanci,

I love the Sulky 2000 spray too. Mine is in a slightly different spray can but it sounds like the same stuff. I blogged about it here: http://susanintexas.blogspot.com/2009/01/favorite-spray-adhesives.html

It was absolutely awesome to use with Thangles - sooo much better than pinning! The other, larger spray baste in my post is excellent for basting an entire quilt as it keeps on sticking until you wash it out. I hated pin basting with a passion. The pins really got in the way of my stippling too. I'm so glad the adhesives are available, they make quilting much more fun.

Happy Quilting,
Susan in Texas

Susan In Texas said...

Oh, I meant to say that your nine-patch is really cute! I made one very similar to it using up the leftovers from two other quilts, using blue instead of white to separate the blocks: http://susanintexas.blogspot.com/2008/03/i-made-this-quilt-out-of-all-leftovers.html

I was really happy with how my binding turned out. I cut up every last scrap of the leftover fabrics used in the quilt into 2 inch squares, then sewed them all together in a long line for the binding. I thought it gave the quilt a little bit more interest. I also had to use a few squares in each corner of the back to make up a small shortfall. Necessity is the mother of all inventions. lol

Wilma Lee said...

I love nine patches!!! Your quilt looks great. I use a spray adhesive to do small stuff that I'm going to quilt on my Bernina, but I quilt the bigger stuff on my midarm so I don't have to pin at all, lol. The adhesive works great.

heather said...

I love the quilt. I want to do one like that. I love how white/cream will make colors pop! Great job. I look forward to visiting you a lot.

Anonymous said...

I WANT IT!!!!!! I really do...I am not kidding!

Amanda Jean said...

it IS the cutest little thing!!! i love me some white sashing. it makes everything better, doesn't it???