Thursday, March 12, 2009

IT'S QUILTED, WASHED AND READY TO GO!

For those of you who have helped me with suggestions regarding the old quilt, here is is. I finished it and washed it in a front loader on gentle cold cycle as suggested.

I used the bamboo batting for the inside and stippled it carefully reinforcing the blocks as I went along as some of them were a bit frayed to say the least. I also used a number 11 needle as I thought that it was good to use a finer needle than the Jeans size due to the delicacy of the fabric.
The quilt is small than the original, but I do have one block left to save for my Uncle and Aunt to frame in remembrance of the original work of my grandmother.
I am happy to be finished with it and am very pleased how it turned out. Considering that I do not think of myself as a refurbisher of quilts but will try just about anything sort of person, this I consider to be a job well done and the quilt is preserved!

I also decided to bind the quilt in a red fabric to pop the red that was already on the quilt. I think this just finishes my love of this quilt done by my grandmother for her "baby" and his wife.
So, for Jerome and Linda, here it is.




16 comments :

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

I absolutely love it. You did such a wonderful job with everything, especially the quilting. You have preserved such a treasure.
~Karen~

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it turned out so well - it is amazing in a way considering the shape it was in. You did a great job.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh my goodness, it looks brand new, you did a wonderful job and helped all of us learn as we watched your project unfold. they will be so very happy!

Anya said...

That is wonderful. The red binding is perfect. And what a great idea to have a block framed. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Nice job. I'm sure they'll love it. Now it can enjoyed and cherished for many more years to come.

Quiltgal said...

Oh Nanci, what a beautiful job you did on the Quilt. Make sure you label it explaining where you got it and what you did to reburbish. Someone will find it years from now and marvel. What a lovely thing it is.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a great job you did - it is nice to see a quilt saved that has such meaning to the family.

Crispy said...

Wow what a transformation!!! That came out beautifully, WELL DONE!!

Crispy

Jocelyn said...

Hi Nanci,
I found you on Crispy's blog. I too mostly quilt by myself. Not in any guild. Years ago I quilted with my sis in love, and a cousin, but life gets busy :-( It is nice to meet another wonderful quilting lady who also has a cottage :-) Please stop by sometime.

Jocelyn

http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Suze said...

wonderful job restoring...they will be so happy! It really does look like a 'new' quilt!

Barb said...

You did an awesome job on that quilt...

Millie said...

I just love your quilt. Especially the wrinkled look after that first wash. Lovely colors.
~Millie~

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

bet it feels good to have it fixed knowing it will last a lot longer! ;-) well done!

Susan In Texas said...

It looks really great, Nanci! I'm so glad it turned out so well for you. I love it when tired old things have new life breathed into them.

Great job!
Susan


PS I like your new quilt too. Lovely!

Amanda Jean said...

what a great way to rescue an old quilt! it's gorgeous. and i love the pop of red binding. nice job!!!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love the touch of blue wtih the other colors. Really, this turned out well.