Monday, March 16, 2009

WHAT WAS I THINKING?

I bought this fabric because it looked so appealing! What was I thinking? It's nothing like I would normally do, it's got sort of Victorian panels that I now have 12 of and I bought fabric to make the frames for them too and, paid what I consider a big buck for!

Have you ever done that? They are really pretty you know, but just not the kind of thing I would normally do. I have even put them aside till I decide if I truly want to make something out of it all. The finished square is 12" so it's a fair size and with sashings would make a large enough throw kind of quilt. The only good thing about it is the sashing fabric which is black, that makes the whole thing look good. But it's not somthing that I normally do. I usually put fabric together, look at a few patterns and then start cutting out.

You can see from the photo on the left the block as it would be with the finished look of it. What do you think?

So, have you ever gone totally different in colours, in styles and finishes that make you happy you did it?

Do we follow, say safe and true colours and styles that we are comfortable with that we don't look at anything else, like what I've done? And then, what do I do with this very Victorian looking quilt? Who does Victorian these days?


Maybe I had thought of the sheep at one of the blogs I follow where she lives on a sheep farm and knits...Who knows?

This past weekend in my part of the world, we had a taste of spring! Ah, you know, the freshness in the air, sunshine, children out without heavy coats, boots and hats, and everyone just so happy for some warm sunshine that we were all so very friendly to even strangers. Yeah, it was great.

Our neighbours invited us for a turkey dinner! Yeah, and no holiday or "nothin" as the kids would say. We had all the fixins and even sat in the dining room too. Mary found the turkey in her freezer and just went with it. It was, needless to say delicious and I didn't have to think of what to make for dinner.

I sometimes just can't think of what to make for dinner. I usually when in doubt, make homemade pizza. I have a yummy dough recipe that I got from BH&G and it actually makes two large pizzas which I make up and put one in the fridge for the next day. Two meals done and I could feed my sweetie pizza every day of the week, he just loves it! Well not everyday, but pretty close. Planning meals is just getting to me I think. It's not that I don't like to cook, but sometimes I just don't feel like it. I am sure everyone does, even Martha and I'm no Martha, close but don't pass out the cigars!






10 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well be interesting to see what it looks like when it is done! I normally do not go out of the box very often and stick with what I like.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Interesting fabric - though not somehting I would do either. I tend to 30s repros and mid colored pastels - not too light - not too dark. I did make a "country" christmas quilt that I really like, though it was outside my usual colors - it was done in darks and vivid colors - but I do notice each time I see it how much it is out of my usual range.

As for dinners - I don't care that much for planning meals either - so I got a vacuum seal-a-meal and when I cook I make about four times what we need for a meal. After we eat the first meal I portion out the rest in serving sizes and use the seal-a-meal on them. Into the freezer and I have a nice deposit of extras for lunches at work (just open and pop in the microwave) or two servings make us another dinner. I get 10 pounds of hamburger and make it up into enchilada casserole, chili and spaghetti sauce (meatballs are frozen separately for meatball sandwichs or spaghetti sauce). I love the convenience of going to the freezer and picking from the bounty in there, and I only have to cook one or two days a week. I do the same when I make a roast - portion it out along with the vegetables and voila' - instant dinners.

Anonymous said...

You are not alone! I have a couple of "what was I thinking" fabrics in my stash. I think you should finish yours, you'll be happy with it when you're done. I've been using a lot of different colours lately, because I've been making quilts for my kids and their friends (teenagers like 'different'). The biggest step 'out of the box' for me was when I made the black and white and red quilt for my daughter... I liked it so much, I've made two more quilts in the same colour combo!

Crispy said...

I bought some fabric that was of a field of grass and daffodils and Ducks (no sky showing). I had that piece in my stash for the longest time and couldn't figure what to do with it so I cut it into small squares and used it in a scrappy quilt. Those little bits of green, yellow and white ended up being my favorite pieces.

I don't usually do much planning for dinner. It's just DH & I and he'll eat anything, so it's basically what I feel like making after work. I save the "good" dinners for my days off. I too make extra portions of the "good" dinners for the lazy days LOL.

Crispy

Susan In Texas said...

I like the Victorian panels. With some simple sashing it would make a lovely (and quick) pastel baby charity quilt. Put a flannel or Minkee back on it and it would be absolutely super! Besides, it's always good to sew outside the box once in awhile, otherwise our stashes will start to look boring and predictable. lol

Happy quilting,
Susan
http://www.susanintexas.blogspot.com

Nanette Merrill said...

I know there aren't many victorian quilts being made lately but I like them. And I liket his panel. We like homemade pizza too.

limpingalong said...

I think the victorian panels are beautiful. Pink and chocolate are really in vogue right now and these might fit into that scheme!

I think that deciding what we eat is the hardest part of being the chief cook and bottle washer for the family. When all else fails, I make soup. I think you can't beat a hearty soup with meat and vegetables. They freeze well, too.

Lisa Pogue said...

I think this is gorgeous. I like you, probably wouldn't have picked it out either, but wow. There's just something very striking about it. It's very cool on the black!!! You will have to post a picture when you are all done. I'd love to see it!!!!

Sunshine said...

Hi Nanci,
I just found your blog through a comment you left on Crispy Quilts. I, too, have moments of wanting fabric that I will probably never use. It usually happens when I see someone else make a quilt that is beautiful, and I feel inspired. For example, Amanda Jean of crazy mom quilts had a quilt with flower panels (I think it was her) and it just looked like the loveliest suggestion of warmer weather. Living in Atlantic Canada this time of year makes me want nothing more than flowers and sunshine! So 2 or 3 times in the past month, I've been standing in front of floral prints, and I *almost* bought some, but I was lucky in realizing that I don't actually do floral prints ;) I'd probably not enjoy working with them even if the final product might turn out beautiful. Who knows, maybe once I'm more experienced, I'll wander into unknown territory and work with florals... but I'm still a newby, only in this game for about 6 months. I've recently started a blog of my own and invite you and your readers to visit anytime:

http://cuttingedgequilt.blogspot.com/

I love this blogging world! I'm 27 and haven't come across anyone my age in my area who's interested in quilting - most people here consider this an activity for people twice my age and look at me weird as in: why are you quilting when you could be out partying? So the blogging world has allowed me to connect with like-minded people who know what I mean with a "stash" and the addiction to buying fabrics... Look forward to checking out your blog more frequently now that I know where to find it. Sorry for this book of a comment! :)

Cheers,
Christine

Miri said...

Oh, definitely go for it...use the fabric! I find that whenever I do something like that, I end up liking it...and if not, well it looks like it will be beautiful and you can always gift it.