Friday, June 5, 2009

COTTAGE PHOTOS AS PROMISED














Who knew when I took this photo on Sunday morning what was to follow. I was actually trying to get a shot of the little hummer who sits on the railing and fights anyone coming to "his" feeder.


It was cold but so bright that I took a few photos of the lake and our views from the deck. Then about 5 minutes later, I looked to the west and saw what was to be the storm of the spring.


Just a note to say how hard it is to put photos where one wants them when posting...ssishh

Anyway the next photo is of the storm that came so fast that it was like second photo just a few minutes after taking the first one.


Was I lying about weather? See the flower pot is still outside and my sweetie rushed to bring them in because of the storm and it was so cold


We had our neighbours up for a week with their
dog Quincey and here is a photo of both the

puppies getting ready to go for a boat ride.






We have had "boat coats" for our dogs for years as it is such a safe way to transport them to and from the cottage. The handle on the top of the coat allows one to grab and position the dog when travelling by boat. It also helps to lift them into the boat.

Whenever our dog sees his coat he knows that life is about to get interesting. He knows he will be going for a ride and be able to feel the wind in his face..

Remember when I said I had spent a fortune of my hanging baskets for the cottage? Well here is one them. You can see why it was expensive!

There are two of these and two others that are orange daisies and purple verbena.


Leaving the cottage for a few days is a chore as all the plants must be brought to a central spot, and the sprinkler positioned so that when the timer (which is connected at the taps) is set, the flowers will be watered a couple of times a day . Isn't that clever? We bought this little device at the hardware store the second year we were at the cottage. Now, I have no idea, I mean it, no idea how it works as my sweetie sets it up and reminds me when I remove said item from its storage spot...."don't touch the dials" and he does the work of setting it up. I hope nothing ever happens to my guy as I have no idea how this contraption works so I would be unable to have flowers such as this.


This last photo, (shiiiish) was taken while riding up to the deck. I think this gives you an idea of the lift that I have been talking about for so long.
You can see the gate at the top and it has plexiglass inserts to keep one safe from falling when on the deck.
Oh it is so good to be home for a few days. I have seen my mother, who was in great spirits and although the nursing home had been under quarantine for a bug that had affected a number of the residents, I was allowed to see her. She said that she had been hit with the flu bug, been confined to bed and been served her meals in her room. She loves that part of living there. She says it's like having room service.
So that was good! Today, I am having my hair cut, having lunch with a girlfriend, doing a bit of shopping and will try to get into the quilting mode again.. I do think the weather has a lot to do with it and also because I am using up my grandmother's stash, the colours aren't me. It's hard to get excited about what I am doing. But really dear dear friends, I think you sustain me and since I haven't been able to read your blogs....I must be in a bit of a funk. So when I go back to the dial up....I think if I do it all manually, you know enter your blogs into google, then I can read your blogs.
I am getting my coffee, and am reading the blogs after this. Ahh, am so looking forward to that!




13 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your flower baskets so much and if they would grow here I would spend a fortune for them too!! I know people think that because I live in the south I must have tons of flowers but I don't. Flower baskets like that have to have cool nights and we do not have that. All I can get to grow in baskets is petunias :( and some vines for greenery. I have so much shade that I can't grow flowers good in my yard.
Glad to see you back Nanci
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Crispy said...

Wow that storm really did blow in fast!! Your basket is beautiful, the pooches look so happy in their life jackets and I love the lift. The weather is probably messing with your quilting muse, when it warms up again and the sun is shining your will be grabbing a cuppa and sitting out on the deck stitching away watching the "boss" hummer rule the feeder.

Crispy

Sunshine said...

Hi Nanci,

good to hear from you and about your adventures!

I made the cowboy bread again, with rhubarb this time ;)

Cheers,
Christine

blushing rose said...

Glad you had a very refreshing & enjoyable stay. TTFN ~Marydon

Val - Apple Cottage said...

I love hearing about all that's happening at your cottage. It's such a special place. Love your dogs and I bet they love being carried by the handles on their jackets. Aren't they so intuitive. I always wonder how they know things before we even tell them!!!

Jennifer said...

Can't say I blame you for wanting to keep your flower baskets, they are very pretty. I have enjoyed reading about your time at your cottage, the weather must change very quickly. And the dogs certainly look ready for action, the thought of a little doggie being picked up like a handbag tickles my funnybone!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Lovely flowers! And what a spectular view. Yep, the weather is weird even here in Southern California, where we have been having some rain and lightning--extremely rare this time of year. It's usually just cloudy in June.

Micki said...

Well byt the looks of this cottage and the views that you have, you obviously live in an idyllic setting too. I am so happy for you. It really is a special place!
Micki

Lindsey said...

Gosh Nanci.....What a neat post...hope your mom is doing OK and that flu stays away! The dogs are adorable, the lift...unbelievable...and the view...well, I can't say enough...I love your life!

Twisted Quilts said...

I had to laugh when I read your comment on Giraffe Dreams. My kids all had a fit when I tried to make changes to their rooms. My oldest is almost 37 and he did agree to allow me to put a crib in his room for his son but his posters are still on the wall.

Beautiful cottage. Can I visit? My mother is at home with full time care. It is hard.

Bunny said...

Just found your blog. Your cottage looks beautiful. So nice for you to get away somewhere beautiful and its yours. Now to go back to your blog and look around. Oh yes hopefully today will be warmer than it has been here in Ontario.

Nanette Merrill said...

Sounds like paradise. Really. How lovely to be able to be in such surroundings.

Judy D in WA said...

Your place looks heavenly, and your baskets are gorgeous. I'm very happy I found your blog. Now I must read more. :)