Thursday, July 23, 2009

SEWING LIKE CRAZY TO CATCH UP!

I joined Crazy Mom Quilts online nine patch group
to make the second nine patch. I'm a bit behind
as usual. I didn't really want to even open the
Jelly Roll because it looked so neat. I mean neat
in the literal sense. All those colours wound in
a little roll, tied with the ribbon. I looked at it
for about 4 days till the ribbon was untied!


So I am off on a spree of cutting and making nine patch squares to at least keep up with the group.
80 squares to make the quilt is what she is asking for and I will have lots of fabric left over from the Oh Cherry Oh! I had a hard time deciding whether to just cut and do random squares or to take two pieces and make the nine patch. I am
doing the latter. I need symetry. I will have a few
with a bit of variation but all in all I love this quilt
so far.



My neighbours....(the ones with the mouse) have
this old quilt on a bed in their cottage. It was made
about 45 years ago and is still in excellent condition.
the binding needs replacing and has been repaired
a few times, but so far it's not bad. Machined
pieced, and hand quilted by Kent's grandmother.



I actually would have shown some of my nine patch squares but my granddaughter is here, has taken over my camera for a bit. I couldn't go through 100 photos to get a few of my stuff, so
another day.



See the golf driver at the right? Well my neighbour is making this into a clothes/towel hook for the cottage. She found the clubs in her barn when they bought the farm and always wondered what to do with them. She has four of them with wood handles. I don't know much about golf so don't laugh at my description of this stuff. She cut the handles off as best she could and has put a screw in the back of a piece of barnboard. She had a problem with one of the pieces so has put wood glue in the end of the place where the screw goes and if all else fails, she will see my sweetie to give her an idea about attaching the last hook to the board. Isn't it clever?



My middle son has come for a visit. He has been fed well, given his own room to sleep to his heart's content and to read his book. We had great weather for the past two days, but of course this being the summer from.......well the weather isn't going to co operate today and rain and thunder are coming.


Martin is heading home and leaving me a Alex to eat us out of house and home. Lots of food will be consummed in the next few days I tell you. It's what life is about if you are a kid at Nana's.






9 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like your weather just doesn't want to improve this summer Nanci. We have had much cooler weather than normal for spells then it gets back to normal. That is ok though, I will take cooler over near 100 any day.
the quilt is looking good and I know what you mean about opening up the roll of jelly rolls, they are so pretty sometimes you just want to look at them for a little bit before you open them.

Karen

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Clever idea with the golf clubs - I like clever hangers.

I'd swap you some weather - our heat here in the Pacific Northwest is getting to me - over 80 almost every day - and going to 91 and 90 early next week - we poor waterlogged ducks are drying out and complaining to beat the band - we'd love some of the rain - please swap with us. :-)

Micki said...

Good luck with the nine patch! Sounds like your weather is incredible!
Micki

blushing rose said...

Most would appreciate your weather ... lovely quilt. TTFN ~Marydon

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh, I joined too.
I got my jelly roll too!
I did not open it yet too!
I am behind too!
I need to catch up too!
I need to be at your house to eat too!!

Unknown said...

My friend Helen said this is called a "bear claw" pattern on the red and white quilt...It still looks like a maple leaf to me, but yeah she is right.....as usual

Crispy said...

Busy Busy Busy at the Cottage. Sounds so fun and interesting. What did your granddaughter take 100 pictures of LOL?

Crispy

Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog, Nanci. I promise to begin to post more quilty posts as soon as we get back on our feet now that Dad no longer needs our help. I miss my quilting friends and my time in my sewing room!

I, too, hate to unroll a jelly roll. Love the golf club hanger idea. Will have to look into that since my household is obsessed with golf. lol

Sherri said...

I love the red and white bear paw quilt...it certainly does look like it's in excellent condition! And why are those jelly rolls so hard to unroll...I have the hardest time with that too!