Thursday, July 9, 2009

THESE OLD QUILTS...

My new neighbour here at the cottage has some interesting quilts. The Maple Leaf was done by the owner's grandmother and has had some repairs to it over the years. It fits the single bed so perfectly being displayed with love by its new owners. I am glad that they are using it too as some of these are sometimes stored away and never seen. Hand quilted of course...


The next two were given to them also by Kent's mother who made them with the nine patches being made of scraps from old dresses and even a pair of Kent's pyjas put in for good memories of a past life. Both of these are single size also, and fit
the beds that they are on so well that it looks
like they were made for the guest room that
they adorne. Kathleen (wife of) has decorated
the room around these two beautiful quilts.

The pale yellow sashings really set the quilts off and just make them look so "40s" in their colours and the softness of them.

The two yellows were hand sewn, hand quilted in a very simple design that I could probably almost duplicate with a long meadering stitch with the new machine.

It's rare to find two identical quilts and they are
very happy to have them at their cottage where
Kathleen proudly shows them off and the decor
of the room around these two quilts is quite
eclectic.

Now what is weird is that there is a patch in them that
I found the identical fabric in my grandmother's stash
of goodies...yes really and the fact that these two women
were 400 miles from each other is really something.

Kath also made some cute clothes hangers with flowers from the dollar store finds and for $6.00 she has these amazing decor items on the wall which make the room so cozy. I'll post these at another time...also what she did with the old golf clubs is unique!



I'm making a quilt like these two and the very old fashioned look of them is very cute too. It's Walmart fabric with a few of my little stash that I brought here. I hope I can find a large flat spot to put the quilt together. It's difficult here as my sweetie doesn't have the large work table for me to work on and since I want to spray baste it, I better find a spot without wind and flat enough for me to put the quilt
together.



Hasn't the parade of quilts been great to see? I looked at some of them from my favorite blogs I visit and their firsts look like my last. Sometimes that taking a course thing is very tempting.




The last photo is of my Walmart block. I have run out of the striped fabric. I don't know if any of you go to Walmart often, but we have visited 3 here in the area with no luck in finding the fat quarters that this striped fabric came in. I am short about 14 little squares. You know the math thing...Anyway, I wonder if anyone out there could find this and I will send the monies required to forward it to me. Otherwise, I may make the black block plain and use these as the outside of the quilt. It's not a huge problem for me, but it would be nice to match it.


We are having a perfect day at the cottage...just a light breeze, the lake is calm, we saw a blue heron doing a low fly by this morning looking for a fish near the surface of the water. The hanging baskets have taken a real kicking from the rains and are kind of drooping a bit, but with the sunshine today, they will look great just in time for more rain on the weekend...Oh yeah more rain coming, just what we need.

Thanks for visiting me again...it completes my day.














15 comments :

Betsy said...

both quilts are spectacular.
How cool is that to find some of the fabric again

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

How lovely that your friend has those old quilts. I love them both - the red/white one is a favorite because I am drawn to two color quilts, especially when one of the colors is white.

blushing rose said...

How wonderful, 2 matching quilts. They are gorgeous. I love them all. Enjoy your day. TTFN ~Marydon

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have to head over to the parade of quilts and view some, I hadn't gotten to it yet but I bookmarked them so I can do it this weekend. the old quilts are neat and nice to see they are used isn't it.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Anya said...

I may run to Walmart this weekend, so I'll take a quick look for you...

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh so many goodies to see, love the quilts, I love two color quilts, so crisp and bright. Glad the waether is so nice for you! enjoy!

Barb said...

I love the Walmart quilts...what month is it, I will go and look to see if I have any of it. Love the quilts from the cabins.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Lovely old quilts indeed

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Don't you just love old quilts. They must have so many stories to tell. I love those ones.

Kim D. said...

Love those old quilts and the colors are cheerful..

Crispy said...

It's really cool how your neighbor decorated around her old quilts and actually uses them. Sorry, our Walmarts don't have fabric anymore. It's a shame you ran out of that great striped fabric.

Your quilts are lovely by the way....

Crispy

Jocelyn said...

These quilts are beautiful. Love the matching pair.

Jennifer said...

They are lovely old quilts, it's great to hear their story! Thanks for sharing.

Kelly said...

Love them!

Mom you ned to post in your blog messages!

Unknown said...

I have another neighbour who is in her 70s and she is going to get her old quilts out for me to photograph...her grandmother made one of the ones she wants to show me...