Monday, September 7, 2009

THE SUMMER IS ENDING..

This weekend, the neighbours arrived on Thursday
night bringing me this little bouquet of flowers!
They are so very nice to us here, always helpful
and so generous with their collections of wines!
Just kidding. Kent is a bit of a wine expert so we
periodically have had some very good tasting
different wines. But best of all, they bring
lovely bouquets of fresh flowers for my table.


The last long weekend of summer is almost passed here at our little piece of heaven, with so many people here for their last kick at the cat as the saying goes. Boats and boats of skiers, wakeboarding, along with canoers and since the water was warm, many many people still swimming in the lake. It's been the busiest weekend of the year so far. Today most people will close up to return to the city and a new beginning for many.


Our granddaughter Nicole is off to Nipissing U.
being very excited about getting her degree to
be able to teach art.


This past weekend our Olympic hopeful managed
to win two gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze medals at
the Canadian Canoe Championships! She is a
bit tired from travelling, training and missing
her mom's cooking I think. School starts on
Tuesday for her too!



The little photo on the right is a cake! A friend
of my daughter has been making cakes for as
long as I can remember. This is quite the cake
I must say and I included it because of the
suitcase postings last week or so. All decorated
by Susan! Fabulous!



I have been busy on the tic tac toe blocks having made 8 so far. These two were done on Saturday morning so I thought I would feature them.

I made them reversed of each other because when I was cutting out the two colours, one needs two pieces of 22 X 8" cutting each piece twice on the rectangle. Therefore one would have enough for two different blocks. I hated to waste precious fabric so here's the result.


My teacher Helen came over (by boat, all 500ft)
and loved how I had done the project. YES! I am
beginning to have the lessons pay off. Getting
a compliment is huge due to my inability to put
two and two together to understand simple
templates!



I do have one with black dots, pink fabric which is so overpowering that my sweetie said to make a pillow to go with the quilt as it just blinds out the other blocks. That's another photo day!



So, today Mary is doing her short shift at the hospital, then leaving from there to drive up for a night of pizza! She gave specific orders not to make it till she was here! It's on the menu. Bob, the first hand for my sweetie has been painting
the "back lot" as we have called the back of the
cottage. You know, the movie sets always have
a place where they put everything....well we did
too. but it's being spruced up and looking mighty fine. The guys did stop work around 4 pm yesterday to sit on the dock with appetizers and beer to watch the kids from next door ski. They had a couple of five year old girls trying to get up. Girls are different.....The guys find that out all the time but keep forgetting it....Anyway to top off the day, I went tubing....yeah Kathleen said the one of the seats had my name on it. I didn't even get wet....What fun!













6 comments :

Barb said...

What wonderful neighbors...love the flowers and love your squares as well. congrats to your granddaughter for her wins....and hope she rest up soon.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Interesting nine patch blocks. looks like fun.

Jennifer said...

Pretty flowers! Sounds as though you are enjoying your 'last fling' of summer too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you have been having a wonderful time this whole summer - wine, flowers, boats, when do you go back to your main home.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Lindsey said...

Wow, so much going on, and even some quilting to go along with all of that. Congrats to your Olympic girl...she must be something else! That's a big deal. Nicole is a girl after my own heart...I'd love to do teach art!
Hope you and Helen have lots of progress...I can't wait to see it finished.
Have a great day Nanci

Crispy said...

What a wonderful weekend you are having...flowers sewing pizza...LOL. I just relax reading about sitting on the dock watching the world go zooming by.

Crispy