Friday, September 4, 2009

TIC TAC TOE QUILT ON THE GO...

When Helen, my private quilting teacher (oh yeah I have luck here at the cottage) was showing me a pattern she would cut out paper or light cardboard of different colours to demonstrate a project. Well it paid off yesterday when I was doing the Tic Tac Toe Quilt layout.



I actually read the directions on making the template. However as a lot of you probably know, sometimes the book directions aren't quite what we understand them to be. I did cut out fabric 8 X 11 directed, but when cutting the first template, there was no way it was going to end up a 6 1/2" block....so I fiddled with the template a bit and voila!



I actually have two of them done to absolute perfection. I am so over the moon happy. Helen's patience has paid of and I have it in my head how to do an accurate template.


I made the blocks in reverse of each other and learned that the fabric must all be on the right side of each other or else
the blocks would be in reverse and not match. I only have
seven more to go as these finish out 18" squares. The photo
yesterday showed it using "scraps" well I don't have enough
of them here, but this is such a fun and funkie quilt that I
think I could do this in yellow, black, white and red for my
grandsons who never get a quilt because my quilts are to
"girlie" for them.



Our helper Alex left us yesterday, which is a sure sign that summer is at an end. She put her little boat away and said that her life would have been perfect at the cottage if her friend Brianna had only been here to share it with her....We miss here already. Mind you, we will have food in the fridge and don't have to oil its door any longer....I'd forgotten how much teens can eat!



Have a great Labour Day Weekend. Next week all our lives change as the children go back to school, we see the yellow buses and the stop flags in full operation. Let's keep them safe.






9 comments :

Lindsey said...

How adorable! You've been busy. What a nice finish that will be. Doing things in reverse makes my head spin!

Thanks for your kind words about Samuel...his dad spoke at the service all about hope. It was amazing.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

You did it!! I love the block, looks better than the book!! Can't wait to see more!!

Crispy said...

Oh WOW Nanci, the block is wonderful!! I can hardly wait to see the finish quilt!!

Crispy

Barb said...

That block is so striking...love it!!

piecesofpatti said...

Fantastic! So bright and happy!

Micki said...

The blocks are just stunning!
Micki

Micki said...

Love the blocks!
Micki

Quiltgal said...

Hi Nanci, I just got caught up on all of your recent posting. The Bunkie is so cute and quilts that you have been working on beautiful. It is always fun to stop by and see what you are working on. Enjoy the best weather we have had all summer, this holiday weekend. Deb

The Artful Hawaiigirl said...

Those blocks look like a lot of fun. Nanci, thanks for commenting at my blog The Artful Hawaiigirl. So sweet of you.
I have a Twisted Sisters quilt all blocks made but not pieced together yet. Will share when I do.
Aloha, Happy quilting. I love to sew, and applique (Hawaiian quilting is my fave), and love piecework. So satsifying.
-Marilyn
P.S. Thank you for your lovely compliments.