Monday, November 9, 2009

I'VE BEEN BUSY!





When I visit my mother at the nursing home, she has this little bag that she puts her "stuff" in. You know tissues, hairbrush and a few sweets that are handy when she needs them.

My mother, who had a boutique at her restaurant/pub in the Virgin Islands in the 70s till the late 80s sold countless numbers of thes little bags. they came in different sizes, were made of canvass. She designed them and had them made by a local gal in the BVI. People that were sailors often bought these to keep their money, stuffed their bathing suits in them or tshirts when they cam ashore to her bar.

Anyway, as you can see, this is an old one which has been used for a long time. I can't remember my mother without one of these little bags. My daughter has one the is about
a quarter of this size, and she has used it for years for her
make up when she travels. I have a large one that I use
for my meds and whatever else goes to the cottage.

Speaking of the meds, they seem to get more and more
each year, so am glad for the larger bag.


Now since I gave my mother the Oh Cherry Oh! quilts, she asked for a new one in bright colours for her "stuff".


I made this one. I had such a time figuring out how to have the right amount of fabric to go around the circle (made from a cd) and had to cut and cut to get the right size. Of course, I had to sew the straps on last.....easy compared to measuring the circle thing.

She loved it! She was even able to talk of her much
loved Island in the Carribbean where she lived for
over 30 years. She sometimes has a hard time
remembering her life, but this brought back many
fond memories. It made my heart feel so good.




The local hospital is having a mittens tree in the lobby and they are asking for donations. I made 3 pairs of fingerless mittens....all with different cabled designs on them this past weekend.

I was watching the National Geographic Channel regarding the War Years, so my hands were kept busy! I may try to put a thumb on the next pair but since I am knitting them on straight needles, I am going to improvise on the thumb.


I have been cooking new recipes which have turned out really really well. I made two roast beef dinners with two different cuts, one prime rib and the other sirloin tip which were superb if I do say so myself. We like our beef on the rare to medium rare, which they turned out perfectly!

I have never found roast beef to be an easy thing to cook but over the years, I have experimented with different methods. This one is a keeper.

I also made a pecan pie, the most easy pie to truly impress guests. I'm posting that soon. My sweetie said to take a photo of it as it came out of the oven.....so I could post it to "your blogging buddies"

Our weather is so warm, I am back in the sandals again! I think that there is a song in there somewhere...we are also getting the same today! We are having a very late Indian summer I think. People were out washing cars, cutting the grass, well actually mulching leaves with the lawn mowers, and there was a skins and shirts basketball game in the park with lots of people in shorts watching! The Olympic dream girl and her brother were out on the bay working out, as were lots of others. Christmas lights were being put up although only one house, with little ones,
had them lit last night. It was just a super weekend!

8 comments :

blushing rose said...

Love the little bags/totes. Today we are in the 70s again, but tomorrow the chill returns.
Have a beautiful week. TTFN ~Marydon

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pecan pie - yummy!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Dolores said...

Great job on the bag for your mom. I absolutely love those fingerless gloves. I wish I could knit. It certainly is strange weather for Nov.

Comfort Cove Designs said...

Love the fingerless mitts!!! They look so nice and cozy!! The only knitting I have done lately has been the occasional scarf. But last night I decided to tackle socks using four needles!! I am making a pair of hiking socks for sweetie for Christmas. I usually make him at least one hand made thing a year. This year is a challenge!!! I hope I survive this! If he's lucky he might get two socks rather than one LOL

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Barb said...

I enjoyed the story about your mother.

I did one of those bags and you are right, it is hard to get the correct measurements around the circle...yours turned out good.

Jennifer said...

You have done a terrific job with the bag! Pecan pie.....yum......

SandyQuilts said...

Cute bag. Will you be offering a tutorial?

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a nice bag, especially since I see that it has a zipper!