Friday, November 6, 2009

WHAT DOES ONE DO ON A RAINY DAY!




Yesterday was a morning that was raining, cold, the wind was blowing wet leaves, and the sky was very dark.....

So, I decided that I would get some sewing done but didn't really know what to do. I had bought a sheet at goodwill for using it as the back of a quilt which of course it didn't look good, so it's been sitting on the shelf for ages.

I cut it into placemat size and went on a spree! I made 8 placemats in no time and have enough
fabric for doing napkins today. I had such fun
doing this, that I may use up a lot of scraps
and get rid of all the little pieces of batting that
I just don't have the heart to throw away!

I also made a pair of pyjamas bottom which turned
out well also. I had a sheet with a lovely bottom
decoration to it and serged this in about 15 minutes.

And since it was a crappy day, I decided to make
bread and pizza. My dough turned out so high
and light that I took a photo of it for you to see the way dough should look when making bread.

So many of us use the bread machine these days, but you know there is something to be said to just standing there, kneading dough and feeling how lovely it feels when it finally becomes a soft and completed little ball of dough.

The day wasn't a total loss as the sun came out in the afternoon which meant walking the wonder dog. I tell you dogs really are more frisky in cooler weather. The Westie runs all over the park on cooler days. Warm days, he walks and sniffs, no big deal...We returned home after about 45 minutes and within minutes, the sky had darkened, the hail hit the front of the house and travelled to the back with the wind howling, picking up leaves and what ever else was on the ground and blowing it across the park!

It's a good thing I had returned, it could have lifted the pooch!

I am also knitting the fingerless gloves for the hospital Christmas tree in Oshawa General. I assume that there will be a bazaar to go with the tree. My friend says that these mitten trees are quite popular. I need wool, so am off to Walmart and Zellers to get some bright colours today.








12 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hi Nanci,
Welcome back!. Began to despair when there were no new postings. Talk soon.
Helen

Wilma Lee said...

The bread dough looks beautiful!!!! I get to retire in a year and then I hope to be able to do things like that!! Hmm, I need to get a pattern for pajama pants. Good idea.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love making bread and how it taste the first day but if anything is leftover it always seems to be a little dried out no matter how I store it and always needs to be heated or toasted to use.
Sounds like you made good use of the sheet you found.
Karen

Crispy said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful day...except the hail...I hate hail. I've been thinking about making napkins too.

Crispy

Barb said...

wow...you sure did get alot done....you are amazing. Love the place mats!!! You didn't invite me for Pizza?

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Wow - doesn't your dough look delicious. I can almost smell the freshly baked bread. You know, I can't even make bread in a bread maker. I also don't throw away all those batting scraps. I but them up together and use my 3 step zig zag to join them up.

Jennifer said...

There's one thing to be said for that cold weather.....it's good for staying indoors and making things!

Micki said...

You managed to do a lot on a rainy day and what fun you must have had!
Micki

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Love the placemats, and just in time to serve the pizza

Kelly said...

Mom, Remember I have your blue and white bowl!!!

susan@tickledpaisley said...

I could almost smell that bread through my computer! mm mm! Looks like you had a very productive rainy day!!

fabricartist21 said...

Sounds like you enjoy using up what you have to make stuff and so do I. I love your gloves and socks. I love the rain so I can kcik back and do some stuff I haven't had time for. I posted on my blog about what our team is doin on Etsy go and check it out and sign up for my giveaways.