Thursday, January 28, 2010

NEW PROJECTS!










Starting a new project for me anyway, is always a bit disconcerting as I don't always have the completed quilt down pat in my brain, such as it is.




See the colours on the right there? Well they are what I want to use, especially the top fabric as that's one of the pieces I received from my grandmother's stash.




It's very Meramiko retro and I just love the colours, so was thinking that the black fabrics would just be perfect for putting together a simple modern quilt



But, I also have this little piece that I bought the other day
at Fabricland. I like it too and although it's a piece that would
go with the blacks etc of the little stash, I wonder if the
original thought would be better.







I have lots of bright pieces to put with the blacks and even have some more blacks. It's so hard to decide isn't it, considering that my stash pile is relatively small compared to some quilters' stashes.



I keep putting this and that together thinking outside the box as they say, or trying to at least. I do keep going back to the first pile as the one I want to go with.





You can see from the last photo that I don't keep much fabric on hand. I just don't like making all the choices that go with making quilts from say, following a pattern.








I think I'd have trouble with the Dear Jane blocks if I ever started on to just put the little blocks of 57 pieces together....I'm exhausted just thinking of a block of 57 pieces. Karen and Crispy who hand quilt do this sort of thing as do many others on my blog roll, but I'm not that good....yet.











So, I'm going to look at the fabrics that I have and maybe add a couple more colours to my original thoughts of making a simple little quilt.











On the other hand, I may make butter tarts, or a pear with ginger cake.




Yep, that's me, not able to get my thinking on straight
and focusing on the tasks at hand.





Of course all this rattling in the brain is probably due
to the fact that I'm going to the dentist today to have
him replace a cap which has cracked, having to sit
for the better part of 2 hours while the dentist pokes
around my mouth and extracts almost what amounts
to someone's mortgage payment for 2 hours of work!



But first, I'm going to have a cup of coffee, sit with my dog !






































9 comments :

Michele said...

Oh my! I just love what you've picked! The black and whites look fab with your grandma's fabric. Make something!

Crispy said...

I'm voting for your original stack of fabrics, they would showcase gramma's fabric so very nicely. How wonderful to have an actual retro fabric that isn't a reproduction :0)

Crispy

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the retro is neat but I like the second one you showed better - but that is just my personal choice - in that first selection you could always add a little yellow or pink to go with the prints. One day if you want to make a Dear Jane you will -- but really that is not a goal very many people have :) only some of us are crazy enough to do that LOL. I'm sure whatever fabric you choose to use it will make a lovely quilt!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Leslie said...

great fabrics...good luck at the dentist. that is my least favorite thing to do.

Jennifer said...

Your choice of black and white fabrics with your grandmother's fabric is great.....go for it! Hope the dentist (and the bill!) isn't too painful.

Twisted Quilts said...

I agree with the other posts about the black and white but I am in a black and white phase these days.

Kelly said...

Love the original stack.

Bring me a dozen butter tarts !!!!!!!!!!!!For those who do not know...my mom makes the best in the world.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh, I just love your grandmother's fabric!! It looks great with what you picked. If you want to add to the top pile and I do not think you have to, you might what to add a little yellow. But I know what you mean, the more fabric, the more choices!! Have fun!

Cathy said...

Good luck at the dentist! Just went for a checkup the other day.....and was happy to hear no cavities. I know what you mean about a mortgage payment, and to actually have to pay that kind of money for something that is not fun at all!
I love the first set of fabics...they will make a stunning quilt.
Cathy