Monday, January 25, 2010

DEJUNKING...AND I FOUND THIS!





I've been in a funk lately, you know, not sewing, not quilting, not doing much of anything pertaining to my addiction....then I received my copy of the Better Homes and Gardens Quilting magazine and down I went to look at my sewing room.



It was a mess and as you can see from the photo on the right there, and this was only one binn! I started by just folding all the fabrics and then sorting through the binns that were filled with all the leftovers of previous works and of course in there was all the fabric that I inherited from my grandmother.



So, I cut 3 1/2 " squares for nine patch little blocks,
then cut some lengths of fabric to match this. I also
cut 2 12" strips to make a coin quilt sometime when
I'm in the mood to put them together.



While I was dejunking I found these triangles from when I first started quilting. I found these from the first quiltS (the orange) and the second quilt (the reds) that I cut out to make quilts for Tory and Alex. the granddaughters who picked out the fabrics for themselves. It's almost three years now. Hard to believe!


I have so many of these left, enough to make a couple more small quilts as a matter of fact. But, I just ironed them ...once again... and put them into one of the storage binns.



Now, I've always, well almost always made a top and then
I quilt it. I found this quilt top in a pile of my junk and
couldn't even remember when I made it, so I decided to
just finish it while I was at it. I used red from one of the
junk bins to bind it and it really looks perfect. I think I
must have done this last spring because Pat Sloan had a weekend quiltathon using orange...of course you know I always have orange...and then I think I made this one because the pattern looks pretty much like Pat's.



I now have a huge garbage bag of little pieces, fabrics that I know I won't use but do feel bad about getting rid of them. I had to be brutal! I don't have a huge amount of fabric and don't know what people do to use up their stash that they have on hand!


Now, I'm all tidied up, have everything in place, almost, which makes the space look so much better than I ever
expected.

I wonder how many of us ever go out of our favorite colour schemes. You know I look at some blogs that are always using, say, greens with blues, or whatever makes us happy. I seem to be a bit of all over the place although I do have lots of pinky type fabrics. Of course I have tonnes of white fabric as that seems to make me happy when quilting. Do you find yourself using the same colours, the same designers, or do you often go out of the box and go for it....Just wondering.

We went to see It's Complicated with Alec Baldwin and Merryl Streep, and Steve Martin. Very funny, and it's an adult comedy. I highly recommend it, even though I'm not doing a review, I liked it.









12 comments :

Cathy said...

I used to buy dark red, sage green and cream colored fabrics all the time. Then I discovered the look of white fabric with bright colored fabric and haven't looked back. I'm not very good about mixing different lines of fabric though.....need to break out of that. I love your half square triangles! They will look great together in a quilt!
Cathy

Leslie said...

oooh that quilt you found and finished is so pretty. even prettier up close, i clicked on it to ooh and aah a little

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I love to use, pink, but then I love red, and blue. Not much into darks, I like bright colors! but I use white in almost all of my quilts, I think it makes them pop.
It is so much fun to sit and sort and fold fabric. it makes you feel wonderful when it is all said and done!
Wow, I can tell you I do not have a wonderful quilt top hidden away like you did and now look at it!!` beautiful!!

Jennifer said...

That's a bonus....almost a free quilt! I have trouble using pink in my quilts but love greens, and autumn colours really make my heart sing. It's called a comfort zone for a reason.....because it's where we are comfortable!

Quiltgal said...

I am addicted to red, and Oh Yes, I should be packing. Mover come tomorrow.

Carol E. said...

You sure became productive after starting out in a funk! WTG! my email is
merryhands at yahoo dot com

Crispy said...

It's good to dejunk. I don't have a ton of fabric either, but still don't think I will ever use it all up.

Crispy

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

You sure got a lot done in spite of the funk! Very pretty, too.
I need to organize my fabric. My room got a paint job and I rearranged a while back but I didn't get to the fabric. There's way too much! I think I'll do Pat Sloan's sewing weekend in February to give me a kick in the rear toward organizing.

pwl said...

I use up the little scraps in quilts that I will donate to the local animal control group. Cats and dogs don't care what colour they sleep on. And, as noted in one of the two Collaborative Quilting books I have - 10 colours are good - 100 colours are better!

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Nanci,
You've been busy...love the quilt that you found. My fabric colors are all over the place. I love 1930's, Thimbleberries darks, brights and reds. Scrap quilts are my favorites, so that helps with all the colors I like.
I also wanted to let you know that your last comment on my blog was a "no reply". I've always been able to email you back, but this time I couldn't.
Take care,
Karen

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Keep on quilting! Sometimes the stash can get overwhelming, I guess. So why do I keep on adding more fabric?

Barb said...

I loovvvvve your fabrics and I wish I could keep my fabric stash simple....

Your quilt is wonderful....but you are right, too many decisions....