Tuesday, April 20, 2010

FIDDLEHEADS, A SIGN OF SPRING!


A sure sign of spring for me as Acadian born that I am is that fiddleheads are ready to be picked!


I can't remember a time when I didn't eat these delicacies. They are tender, taste a bit betweein asparagus and spinach I suppose but, oh so much better.

There is a very short window of opportunity to pick them for their best flavour. The time is usually the first couple of weeks at the end of april or first of May depending on the weather.

Well, Sunday one of my boys, Martin to be exact and his friend Carolyn went picking for me. Due to the hip thing, I really couldn't have bent over to do the job of harvesting these little critters.

They freeze well too, did I say that? Well they do,
I just blanch them for about 2 minutes in the
steamer and pat them dry, freeze for whenever I
get the urge.

There are many recipes for fiddleheads, but simply
cook them till just tender, drain, rinse, and add a bit
of butter and vinegar to taste and YUM!



I have been on a stall on the fans! Need I say more?
Decisions, decisions and more. So, I'm going to sew them by machine using the blanket stitch and leave the lessons of the hand part for the dahlia quilt.


This is a big project while the dahlia one that I posted last week is much smaller. With that in mind, and also I noted that Sunshine (at The Cutting Edge on my blog roll) has done some amazing curved piecing and used her machine to do her curves.
Her work is aways so interesting. So have a peak.


I'm going to relax and enjoy making my fans today, even
though the weather is so lovely. We are still in the city,
but come Thursday afternoon, the cottage beckons.

Enjoy the day!

PS...did I see that Crazy Mom Quilts is coming back?

8 comments :

Patchmaker said...

Not sure I've ever tried fiddleheads, but they do sound good; maybe this is the year. Love the quilt! Hope your good weather holds on for Thursday at the cottage. (It's snowing here -ick!)
Maggie

free indeed said...

Every spring I make sure to get at least one meal of fiddleheads! I don't pick them myself anymore, sometimes hubby does....anything with butter salt/pepper is wonderful! I wouldn't eat them as a kid because I just conjured up the image of scorpions....:) anyhoo, sometimes they aren't ready here till June...all depends on the snow melt and when spring finally makes an appearance.
LIke your fans...I recently made a baby dresden plate quilt for a new granddaughter....just love the look of dresdens, but they can be labor intensive....
Enjoy the cottage!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I have never heard of fiddleheads! They sound very tasty:)
Have fun with the fans. They're going to look great!

I noticed Crazy Mom will be back, too. I've missed her blog.

Crispy said...

YUMMMM fiddleheads!!! They don't grow here and they have already eaten them all up by the time I get back to Washington, the greedy gusses LOL.

I just got back from Christine's blog...I'm entered for the drawing :0)

Crispy

Sarah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. You are making some very lovely quilts. I have always been afraid to try curves but it is on my back burner to-do list!

Sue-Anne said...

I have never heard of those Fiddleheads but they look really interesting. Have fun with your fans, I am looking forward to watching your progress.

Shay said...

I had to google fiddleheads..not being from your part of the world, but they certainly look interesting. ( I have yet to make your amazing pastry as well...maybe this weekend , or maybe I am stalling because I am afraid of mucking it up )

And yes Amanda Jean is coming back...wonderful news !

kelly said...

I saw some fiddleheads today and thought of you Mom.

xo