Friday, April 16, 2010

FANS AND MORE FANS




First, I want to thank you all for your kind words of encouragement yesterday when I blogged about my very ambitious project!


I didn't know that I should have cut the foundation block about an inch larger...thank you very much for tell me that...the pattern did not state that!

Also, nowhere did the pattern say how hard it would be to turn those curved suckers! Nosireebob! No statement to that effect!

After getting lots of comments about doing this, I tried, lord knows I tried for a long time to practice on those extra pieces to make them look like the samples on the quilt pattern.

Didn't happen. I may need to make something so that I can indeed curve the tops. I was very very frustrated. I am going to see if Helen can show me how to do this without my going nuts! I don't know how you hand quilters do it! I am now understanding what
makes you tick...


So, then after thinking about it, I did make a practice square by using a blanket stitch that I think Jane or Anya (bloggers extraordinaire) did sometime back and thought that my Janome must have this stitch.

So, without much frustration! Some, but not much I say, I managed to do this block. My sweetie, who is always coming up with opinions (I didn't ask for this one) said that it was nice, but didn't look like the hand quilted one in the photo......NO, it DOESN'T. But, it looks pretty good.

So, I'm putting this away till I see Helen, and if I don't get the hang of this, then, I shall do it in the blanket stitch, and improvise the finishing.

Since I use cotton batting for most quilts, I'm thinking poly to do some hand work, I'll need advice on this. I know that Helen used a silk batting on one of her quilts, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on this . What do you use to hand quilt an ordinary project?

I'm further thinking, yes the mind is reeling from all the goings on! I'm further thinking that I shall do the bottom in yellow, and not blue, finish the border in yellow which would make it go with the nine patch I did last summer and be on the bunk bed with that one.

Always thinking folks, always thinking. However, I must put this to print as my mind is like a sieve and I shall have forgotten it all by tomorrow.

Again, thank you those that left the little comments of advice. I probably wouldn't have started it all if I had read them.before, as it is a daunting endeavour for me to do on my own, which is why I'm waiting till I get to the cottage.

Have a fun weekend.

PS, just noted Green Fairy quilts is have a jelly roll sale, $25.95 ea. Lots of them.

16 comments :

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I like poly for all quilts - lighter weight - easier to hand quilt - if you are doing hand quilting - and much warmer than cotton, with less weight. JMHO

I love the fans - you are really moving along.

Anya said...

Even though it doesn't look like the hand quilting on the original, I like the blanket stitch that you did using your machine. Some machines even have a "hand-quilting" stitch -- yours might, too.

Leslie said...

they are looking beautiful.

Barb said...

I love what you are doing....looks great to me...so keep at it....you can always alternate blue and yellow for the bottom.

Millie said...

Beautiful fan blocks...looks great to me too!

Anonymous said...

Nanci,
Don't despair! I can show you a couple of techniques to help with those damn rounded pieces. Hang in there!Talk soon! Helen

Sunshine said...

I've hand quilted with poly and cotton/bamboo - others have said use natural fibers for handquilting, but I tear my poly in half, so it's thin - I liked it better for handquilting because when I use cotton/bamboo, I get bearding, i.e. batting coming out with the thread when I pull the needle through and it looks bad on dark fabrics.

Cheers,
Christine

Sue-Anne said...

I've had the same problem with the Bamboo and will never use it again for handquilting. I always use cotton, one that is especially for handquilting.

Nanci, just keep practising with the applique and you will get there. One tip, never turn under too much fabric ahead of the stitching, just a little bit at a time and use the tip of your needle to smooth it out as you are turning.

Susan In Texas said...

I hear you! I did one (just one) Dresden plate for a group sampler quilt and it took me forever to get the curves right. I finished it and had no desire to make another, even though it turned out beautifully.

Sleepless in Texas,
Susan

Shirley said...

Hi Nanci,
Persevere with your curves, it will get better and besides it is your quilt and you can make it how you want. I personally like to use Hobbs Polydown for hand quilting. Ask your quilt shop if they have samples of different waddings/battings that you can try out. It is personal choice at the end of the day but you need to try a few before you find one that suits you. Good luck.
Shirley.x

Crispy said...

Nanci, as the others have said, it does take a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it, it will go much easier. Don't you just love unsolicited opinions ROFL. I use a low loft poly 90% of the time. The brand I use is Fairfield (not expensive either). If you have a Hancocks up north, they carry it though I think I origianlly bought it at Fabric Land when they had stores down here. Just make sure it is low loft.

Crispy

Miri said...

Just remember that lots of vintage fan quilts have embroidery added after the fans were appliqued to the background...don't see anything wrong with skipping a step!

Either way, your fans looks great-great fabrics!

I use 100% cotton batts for all my quilting. For hand quilting, I like Mountain Mist as its a very thin batt and gives a vintage look.

Kelly said...

Wow Mom...very nice. Were you interested in doing a CANADA quilt? Are there patterns?

Sarah Craig said...

I admire your determination to do a Dresden plate quilt. You've got more nerve than I do! (curves are not my favorite - yet!) I also appreciate your comments on my blog and find when reading "about you" that we are very similar - it sounds like we were separated at birth - especially about housework! Love your blog and will enjoy visiting here in the future! I found lots of eye candy and inspiration!!

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Twenty years ago I made my first "proper" quilt and it was queen size and all hand appliqued and all hand quilted. I would never tackle that now, but ignorance was a blessing at the time. I think it's practise and perserverance and you do get better (doubt that it's much help to you to say that). A tiny seam allowance makes it easier too.

Nanette Merrill said...

They are wonderful Nanci.