Wednesday, May 12, 2010

FAN QUILT

Did you really really think I'd made this? Not on your
life!

This quilt was made about 70 years ago by my neighbour's grandmother. This was what I wanted to do!

I mentioned to Helen that maybe my blog friends would believe that I made this....She laughed ! What? You don't think I could have done this? She was probably still laughing when getting into her boat to go home!

Ok, I didn't make it, but dreams do come true and one day, it will happen. Even if it takes me a year to accomplish such a beauty!

I think the yellow and white points just add drama to the placement of this quilt. If you click on the photo you can see that the quilting, done by hand all of it, is quite different in some of the blocks.

I just love this quilt and it will be at our cottage for the summer, so I can see it every day we are here.

We are heading home for a few days so I'm heading to Fabricland for fabric shopping. Big sale for this month and I do have an Eleanor Burns quilt which was in this month's BHG that I want to make. It's called Spring Fling...and uses fusible web to applique. I think I can do that! I'm not going to rush it, I'm going to make it my summer project.

I bought enough fabric from Green Fairy Quilts last month to make it except the white background. I probably should buy a bolt of white when it's on sale, as well as yellow, as I love both of these colours!

It's very windy today at the cottage. We are once again hunkered down and burning wood. No humming birds as yet and as Harmony Hopes aka Penny noted, they are smarter than we are. Maybe next week as the weather is supposed to warm up.

We are expecting a gang for the long weekend in May, which is like Memorial Day in the US except that we call it the May 24th weekend even if it doesn't fall on the 24th. It's a totally Canadian thing!

We are off to see David Copperfield on Friday with Helen and her honey! Can't wait.

15 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilt is wonderful and you could too make it :)
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Twisted Quilts said...

What a beautiful quilt! And look at the intricate hand quilting. I know it must be stunning in person.

Annemieke said...

Found your blog through 'buddy and me'. I'm Annemieke form Holland and enjoyed reading your blog and really like that last quilt. I just figured out last week how to make such a triangle small borderedge. Hope to see yours soon some day. Hope you have a good time in your cottage. We have the same cold weather here in Holland, only 8 degr. C! Normally it would be 16-18 now I think. Been to Ontario a couple of times, beautiful country.
Groetjes
Annemieke

Shirley said...

Hi Nanci, That is a lovely quilt and I think that you can do it. Just takes time and a bit of practice. Have fun with the shopping.
Shirley.

Harmony Hopes Studio said...

Gorgeous and you can't beat the hand quilting. It just makes it the piece of art that it is. Looks like it was just finished yesterday. I have taken machine quilting courses and I have decided I am a die hard hand quilter. Hope my hands hold out!

Barb said...

Have fun shopping!! Love Green Fairy Quilts...

Shay said...

This is one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen.

(I would have believed you made it if you said so )

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oh I love that fan quilt too - and I have no doubt that you are going to accomplish it - even if it takes a year to make, it is always worth it when the finished quilt is in your cottage. When I first saw the photo of the quilt I was thinking - oh she's made the pretty, pretty fan quilt already. Have fun with it - and your other projects all sound wonderful too.

Pokey said...

Very pretty, I enjoy the beauty of the older quilts, hand stitched or not. Of course you could do this one! Me too, but it would for sure be done by machine. That would still count, wouldn't it?
Happy day, Nanci, enjoy your fabric shopping!!

Sue-Anne said...

What a gorgeous quilt, I can understand why you want to make one. I love the prairie points on it.

Sunshine said...

Haha, I could believe it, if you weren't showing a quilt that takes more than a few days to hand-quilt *grins*

Enjoy David and your summer project!

Cheers,
Christine

Nanette Merrill said...

I don't know which I love more, dresdens or fans. This one is spectacular. I could tell with a fleeting first glance it was vintage. And wonderful.

Crispy said...

The very first quilt I made was a dresden. I think if you really put your mind to it, you will get 'er made....one of these days....no rush LOL.

You'll have to post a picture of the Burns quilt you want to do :0)

Crispy

Amanda Jean said...

what a beautiful quilt! i love the prairie points around the edges.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

We kids used to recite a poem "The 24th of May is the Queen's Birthday!" My dad took us to the horse races on that day