Tuesday, June 1, 2010

PUSHING UP DAISIES?







I started out today by actually hand sewing all the stems of the flowers. How good was that? It was so relaxing. Ok, I didn't do the bias binding, Helen made it last night.



She made it as one continuous piece of fabric then she cut the fabric and voila! All the stems were done in no time at all!



Today she was back and made enough of the bias binding to finish off this quilt! I'm quite please with her work! But , she didn't press it! She rolled it all up neatly (of course) and tied it well so that It will come off the roll so beautifully when the time comes to add the binding.
.
I managed to do one strip of flowers but for some reason even though I measured (I really did) I was a bit off at the bottom so I had to kind of squeeze the last little daisy (I'm calling them that) on the panel.
.
I think there was a bit of creative licence on my part so the
next two panels will be as close to this one as possible.



The directions weren't totally specific about the stem part, so I just made it all one and pressed my flowers over it.

I also realized that if there wasn't stabilizer (?) on the back to make it stick that the fabric moved a bit. So I had to spray a couple of pieces.

Improvising as I went along as usual for me anyway.


I also used the blanket stitch (needle down) which was just what went wrong with the first sample of this baby!

Here are a couple of the flowers. I am so happy you can't imagine and this is so very cute too! I'm definitely keeping this one.

.

Now I bought Hunky Dory by Chez Moi for this but really except for the first few pieces, there were lots that I wouldn't buy if I was buying yardage. It's pretty, but it also has lots of yucky greens and wishy washy beiges too. It's not like the Swanky one I bought last year.

I just wouldn't recommend it as a favourite.

Tomorrow I hope to finish the flowers, then, the piecing of the whole quilt.. Helen is here to help if I need her.

A georgous day at the lake today. Wine and cheese on the dock!
















12 comments :

Sarah Craig said...

Your "daisies" are lovely! Great work!!

Sue-Anne said...

Your daisies look wonderful!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

turning out great. You are moving along quickly aren't you. Nice to have wine and cheese on the deck over looking the lake - so peaceful - can I come :) LOL
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oh I love this one - sooo cute.

Shirley said...

I am liking it even more with the daisies. Well done Nanci, keep up the good work.
Shirley.x

Trish said...

Love the daisies! Great Job! I can't wait to see the finished quilt. It's going to be beautiful!!
Trish @ Allthingscrafty.com

Barb said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh I love them!!! totally!

Jennifer said...

Now that will be one very pretty quilt. You might be surprised at how much more you will like the fabric when it is all together?

Sandra Henderson said...

WOW!~How'd you do that?!?! You are FAST!
Very pretty! So cheerful! I love it. This is going to be so pretty. :) Great work.

Shay said...

These are so pretty. The more I see of this quilt the more I think I have to add one to my list.

Crispy said...

Ooooo lookin' good Nanci!! You sure are moving along quickly on this project :0)

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is going to be one gorgeous quilt! Can't wait to see it finished.