Wednesday, June 2, 2010

SEWING AT THE COTTAGE!




Today was kind of a yucky day so I sat at the sewing table and put together the rest of the daisies.


I'm not enamoured with the whole thing. I don't know why, it's a lovely design even though I realized once I started doing the flowers, that I'm not into the flower thing. I like them fresh in a bouquet I think or in the garden.


I decided not to put the whole 24 flowers into the design
as I'd really not liked it at all.

It's not the geese! I like those. I'm sure many of you have
done this too. Loved the pattern in the magazine then,
when you do it....it's just doesn't grab you.


I am going to finish it mind you as I have so many hours
into it now and all the fabrics are cut out. But, I'm not
sending it out to be quilted. Nope! I received an email
from Trish at Compulsive Quilting and she suggested that I outline the geese, then stipple the rest and I'm doing that.


There is still a 10" border to go around the patterns so it will finish quickly now.

My sweetie looked at it and said he thought it was great and so much work, and best of all he said that I had learned new techniques! I did and will definitely do the geese again, but flowers aren't really my thing.

I have some left over and will make the effort of doing
a couple of pillow cases to finish it.

So you can see the geese are sitting on a chair just waiting for me to finish it all. I'm a bit bummed by it even though the sewing effort was well worth it. I learned . That's what this was about wasn't it? What did I learn?

That I usually do my own thing and I should stick to that most of the time.

Tomorrow, weather permitting we are off to the mainland to purchase paint for the two, count them two addirondac chairs or as they are know here Bear Chairs for the dock. I'm looking forward to going to town where more than three people in the post office at a time is a crowd!




13 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sometimes we form opinions of what we like and don't like after we get into a project - it is the best way to find out what we do like I think. Some people mainly just like piecing and not applique. I have known a few quilters here and there that never do applique as they really don't care for it - so finish your quilt and move on to another project :)
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Shirley said...

I think we all have favourite techniques and it is good to try them all out to see what we enjoy the best. I also think that you have to make a quilt design your own and as it is your work you can put into it or take out anything that you wish. Personally to me it looks great but you have to be happy with it too to want to finish it.
Shirley.x

Michele said...

I think it's wonderful! The fabrics, techniques, composition, etc. I can't wait to see it quilted. I think this beauty is going to grow on you.

Sandra Henderson said...

Well, it's VERY pretty. I'm with you, can't stick to a pattern. When I first started, I bought so many patterns and will never use them. I like the idea of the pillowcases. Try turning your geese going in different directions, the rows I mean. One south, one north, etc. and see if that mixes it up a bit. I also find that odd numbers of flowers work better than even ones. What about a surprise element added after you finish, if you still don't like it. I don't know... like a birdhouse or a bird or butterfly or I don't know, something to take your eye over the quilt and to that paticular point of interest. I am rambling.. lol Lost my neighbor today, he was 88. But know ya well enough that you'll know what I'm saying. Enjoy your trip to town!!! Love those chairs!!!! XO

Unknown said...

OMG!!!! I actually opened the picture up and said to myself,,..."That's perfect"...I want to make it!!!! I don't usually do that kind of quilt but I want it ...it's gorgeous!!!I would love to do it on my laongarm, If I can talk you into somekind of trade.....boy I LOVE it!!!!! And I'm here in Ontario too!!!

Sarah Craig said...

You could always ditch the flowers and just use the geese - that way you've got the part of the quilt that you love! I'm sure someone would be happy to take the flowers off your hands if you feel bad about them lying around the house. Or you could turn the flowers into a really cute baby quilt..... Nothing says it has to end up as what you started making!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

You are a better girl than I am, If I start something and do not like it, in a pile it goes! I however thinK it is stunning and you might consider a trade with Sewlmate Sister. I have done that and have received wonderful things! your are right just like clothes have hanger apeal, that had book apeal until you made it. Too bad you worked hard! Beautiful fabric!

Twisted Quilts said...

I really like the geese. Pink is not my favorite but the green with it looks great. I have been in the situation you are when you start out so enthusiastic and then lose your momentum for the project.

Crispy said...

Well I think it's lovely but it's ok if you don't. Maybe you can donate it to a charity?? Like you said, it was a great learning experience :0)

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Hah! If you're going to donate it anywhere, donate it it my way... I'll even drive to the cottage to pick it up!

But I think you will like it a lot better once it is quilted. Outline the geese and the flowers, and stipple all of the white background, it will make the colours pop out. It will be BEAUUUUTIFUL!!!!!!

Penny said...

Nanci, Nanci, Nanci. The colour combination is wonderful. Don't think of it as your dress for the prom!! (You wish). It is delightful and I bet you have family who would love to have it.
Carry on McDuff.

Micki said...

I love the flowers and the geese! Wonderful quilt!
Micki

Jocelyn said...

I really love it! Beautiful quilt!