Wednesday, July 7, 2010

BOTSWANA DREAMS!

I have a blogger friend "Giraffe Dreams" which I started to follow
one day when I noted the blog name....it's different.

I asked, why the name and she said that she loved the gentle
giants and had decided to call her blog after them.

This morning, I noted this lovely little wall quilt she has just made and it reminded me of Botswana! I didn't even know much about how she came to make the quilt, just the photo said it all to me. So, I've named it Botswana Dreams for her.

I just love the little houses, the whole colour compositions, the simplicity of it all, and most special.....the giraffe!


My cousin and her husband are in Botswana this summer and my cousin has posted this photo that she took of the giraffe that was so close to her she could have touched it!


What an adventure for this young woman and her family, the husband is a doctor who studies tropical infectious diseases or
something like that, but whatever it is the family is in Botswana!

We often watch "The Number One Ladies Detective Agency"
on HBO and the quilt reminded me of it right away as
the art work at the intro of the show is similar in colour





The photo of the giraffe and my cousin (next photo) reminds me of how different we all are on this planet.

My cousin has taught school in Malawi, she loves Africa and finds its diversity compelling.

So when we look at blogs, we see something in a name that catches our eye....have a look see, and we find what makes us all so different in this blogging world which is mostly quilters in our spheres.



The children are studying physics in this class. I noted how simple the classroom is and of course the uniforms that all children wear in most countries, except Canada and the United States.


I remember our visits to Caribbean islands and each village would have different characteristics to their uniforms so as to denote their village.



I awoke this morning around 6 am. yeah, I'm an early riser due to the dog thing...I stepped out on the deck
to find a huge orange ball in the sky, and one on the
lake also. It was hard to photograph as I was facing due east right into the sun.

I took about a half dozen shots trying to make it happen, so the best I could do was show this one.

It is HOT. I think when we reach the 30 celcius, or high 90s in degrees, what when we add the humidity, well it is up there for sure.

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying.

I don't know how everyone tackles the sewing on days like this. Mind you we don't have air conditioning at the cottage and everything is so sticky right now because of the humidity. Thank goodness for the fans.

Gosh, this blog was longer than I expected. That's what happens when I don't post very often.

I got a note from Amanda Jean....she has 16 projects on the go....16! I bogg down at one...but we agree we both love what white does....wait and see!

9 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what an interesting post Nanci and I love the quilt it is so colorful. I have heard the heat is really bad in the east but didn't know it was all the way up into Canada too. It will be cool for us out here in Nebraska today.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Crispy said...

I loved this rambling post Nanci!! I'm so envious, Giraffes are my absolutely favorite beasties!! I can't imagine having 16 projects going, does she ever finish any of them? LOL

I hope you cool down a tad soon or atleast have the humidity break.

Crispy

Penny said...

I wonder why we are so taken with the Giraffe.
I wouldn't want to make a 16' quilt for one.
Stay cool. One time when I love to come to work and freeze!!

Sunshine said...

I like that quilt too - mostly because of the wonky houses.

Many kids in Europe don't wear school uniforms either ;) Sometimes it just depends if it's a private or public school.

And weatherwise, I feel like I'm swimming through the air these days, it's so soupy with humidity!

Cheers,
Christine ;)

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Your post did not seem long at all, it was very interesting, and I love the quilt she made. In our private schools in the US we do wear uniforms. That is my next step now that the wedding is over.
On those super hot days, ice tea and a book sound good. Thank you for sharing.

pwl said...

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency is a series? Darn. I wonder if we get HBO...

That's a pretty photo of the sunrise!

Unknown said...

Wah Wah Wah...okay Missy, you don't have air at the lake? Well poor poor you!!!!! You think it's hot there? Trying being inland in a two story brick house with NO air!!! I do not feel sorry for you at all, and on top of that ...I've got a customer quilt to do before I leave for a week next Thursday. I can't even get into the camper to clean and pack!!!So if you want to whine, have some cheese with it!...cause you have it pretty darn good!!!LOL....Hope you got a smile out of my post....We are planning a trip to Picton on Saturday for their quilt show, the weather is supposed to break by then!!!

Val - Apple Cottage said...

That little Botswana quilt is absolutely adorable. Interesting comment about uniforms. Schools here all have uniforms and most of them are quite strict about them.

Sandra Henderson said...

These animals have always been a favorite of mine as well. Doc has a skull in his living room. I guess it will go to a library... He went Africa MANY times, just a few years ago again on a train trip. DH went in the 70's, must find that photo of him all suited up for safari. lol My son went to a private Christian school (prek - 5th) and I LOVED the uniform thing! LOVED it! Why we do not do this is beyond me. I mean, they are all equal, no fancy sneakers to compete over, no fighting about getting dressed in the morning, it's all so simple. Makes it easier to concentrate on the reason they are in school to begin with. ugh!
Gorgeous sunrise Nanci! Could you put your machine out on the deck?!!? :)