Tuesday, July 6, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY MOTHER...91 YEARS OLD

My mother is ninety one years old today! She has lived a
long and varied life by any standard that we put out
there.

During her life, she has travelled, had adventures that we only dream of.

At the age of 52 yrs old, she packed up her belongings and moved to the British Virgin Islands.

There with very little money, she opened a beach bar, known simply as "Jill's Beach Bar". The beach bar consisted of a long bar, with a grill at one end and the liquor area at the other. She served killer lobster sandwiches which she more or less became famous because they were so good, and served the best Pina Coladas to go with it!

The photo on the right there is one of my favourite photos as it epitomizes the classy way my mother always dressed. She has loved clothes all of her life and was very very particular about dressing. Even now, in a nursing home, I must be careful that everything that she has must match and be easy
to mix with everything else. It's a task, as I'm not at all
like my mother in dress style.

But oh, I love this outfit she has on, look at the shoes
and the turbin with matching purse...does it not remind

you of the old black and white movies where everyone
had such style?
So the very tropical scene on the right is the view my mother had from her beach bar for almost 20 years of her life.
She met many famous people, many people that just loved going to her beach bar, and even Jimmy Buffet used to bring his guitar and play for free on Sunday afternoons while his boat the first "Savannah Jane" was at anchor!
There is a story that Hamburger in Paradise comes from this little beach he loved so much!
Nowadays, no one could possibly go, with about $2,000.00 life savings in their pocket and do what she did. For many years my mother and I have travelled to this island, sat on this beach and remissed about her life in the simpler times, before the huge cruise ships, when only sailors would arrive, before the internet, when the roads were hardly passable to come over the mountain to her paradise!
I view myself, along with my daughter Kelly, as the keeper of her memories!
Happy Birthday to a grand old lady.




20 comments :

Twisted Quilts said...

What a neat post about your mother, believe it or not today is my birthday too. I am not as much of an adventurer as your mother but I do like my clothes.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What lovely memories. My dad would have been 91 on the 5th - but he passed away at age 52. What a difference in lives.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories.

Shay said...

Happy Birthday to your mother Nanci. How lucky she is to have you as the keeper of the memories of her rich and varied life.

She sounds like a true pioneer and a woman with a lot of spirit who has lived a life well and with grace.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday indeed! Jill resembles those wonderful, elegant actresses of old, Hepburn, Lombard, Stanwyck etc - no tattered jeans and sweatshirts for those lovely ladies. Contary to your comments, you DO HAVE style to spare - she taught you well!
Ciao, Helen

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a wonderful life she has had from the way it sounds. Happy birthday to her. Living on the beach like that must have been fun. Amazing how much money now days is needed for things.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Trish said...

What a great story and adventure! Sending Happy Happy Birthday wishes to her!! What a view.

Pokey said...

Blessings to you, Nanci, as a Keeper of Memories for a Mom who cannot. You will be blessed today for your example of love. Such memories, too! Imagine the life of adventure!
My mom's claim to fame was only that she adored one man all her life, and she loved her children. She died 3 years ago not being able to remember my name, but she was the best example of giving I've ever known.

Barbara said...

What a classy, spunky lady - you are most lucky !

Unknown said...

thank you for posting Helen, and thinking that I have "style" wahoo.

Barb said...

What a lovely story and life...you are right, you can not start out on a venture any more with 2,000. Wow....just loved it!

Shirley said...

What a wonderful story Nanci and what agreat lady. Wish her a very happy birthday from a fellow cancerian. My mum has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers and this year forgot it was my birthday, luckily she cannot remember how old I am either so that was a bonus. Treasure the memories.
Love Shirley.x

Robert said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Gerry.. Nanci please don't tell her I called her that :)

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

What a great story! Happy birthday to your mom:)

Mad about Craft said...

What lovely memories and photograph!

Sandra Henderson said...

Oh how wonderful!~ So happy for her to have had such a FULL life!and so many memories. I know she is so happy to have lived back then and not now. Wishing your mother many, many more! :)
Oh, and do let us know the pina colada secret one day... Please tell her HAPPY BIRTHDAY from one island gal to another! Jimmy comes here, but it's not the same.. :)

Jennifer said...

Definitely Happy Birthday to your Mum! What a life. It's usually women who are the guardians of a family's history, isn't it?

Quiltgal said...

What a lovely life story Nanci thanks for sharing with us. A great photo of her too

Crispy said...

What a wonderful story about your mother Nanci. I hope she had a wonderful birthday !!

Crispy

Cheryl said...

Nanci, I'm sure you have many wonderful memories aznd thank you for sharing some of them with us. Hope Auntie Gerry had a great birthday. Love Cheryl XXX

susan@tickledpaisley said...

Nanci - I love this story - what a full life she has lived! thank you for sharing!