Monday, July 26, 2010

IT'S SUMMER DON'T YOU KNOW?

It's summer! I'm enjoying it for the first time in it seems
years. Last year we had so much rain, no hot days, no
humidity! This year we have hot days, humid days and
some rains! Everything here is lush.


Last year, I had one hummingbird...this year there are two new babies that are eating us out of house and home!

They are finally able to land on the feeders without missing their footings, or landing and tipping over! I have had a few laughs at the young.

I finished this little quilt from all left over little squares that I cut and bagged in the winter. I practiced with the walking foot in anticipation of receiving the "spring quilt" back from the basting lady in Orillia.

I tell you, I am so challenged when it comes to directions. If it says "open here" I'm good, but trying to put the Janome walking foot into operation was a challenge! It took me ages of frustrating reading, trying and reading once again over and over to realize the "lift up" was the instruction that I was missing.

It works like a dream! I was sweating by the time I finished clipping the foot in! I'm getting Helen to direct me so that I don't age in the process of learning how to read directions!

This next week will be a busy one, we are having a pot luck supper at the cottage this coming Saturday. I just thought it would be great to have people come the the "First Annual Long Island Pot Luck Supper" at our cottage. All things going well, we will think of another for next year.

The cottage girl (formerly known as the new neighbour) designed an amazing invite for us to deliver, and the cottage guy (formerly you know who) printed them off. Great work and nice colours too.

So, we await the result.

I'm going to try and put the nine patch quilt top together this week. I'm thinking of so many things that I must be careful not to mix up any of the rows. So numbering as you know is tres (french for very) important. I'm off to do that today as Mary and Bob won't have a bed otherwise. The top is still in pieces there.

The girls from next door are off to camp for three weeks, the grandkids of Helen's who are here on and off are mostly off this week as their Jack plays lacrosse so we are without kids to have fun with....I guess the dog will just have to entertain me, but it's not the same!

14 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I plan on making some simple patchwork quilts too. They will be the easiest I think to make out of all my boxes of scraps. I do so want to use some of them up a bit. Yours is so colorful and cute.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Sounds like a wonderful summer!!!

Sandra Henderson said...

cute quilt! I love all the summery colors!
Sounds like a fun time! Isn't it interesting how BUSY you can stay? I have folks ask me all the time, don't I get bored? lol
FUN STUFF! XO

piecesofpatti said...

Love your pictures of the cottage and your quilt is very cute! Everything looks beautiful and restful!

Barb said...

I am glad that you are having a fun summer.

I love the walking foot and it is kinda hard to put it on for the first time. Good luck and have fun with it.

Nanette Merrill said...

Summer in a cottage - life is good.

Sue-Anne said...

Your quilt looks great and hope you enjoy your new traditional pot luck dinner.

Jennifer said...

Sounds as though you will be starting a new tradition with your pot luck dinner, should be fun! That quilt is definitely a bonus as it's from your odds and ends.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful summer you are having, I do remember it rained a lot last year. have fun at you Pot Luck!!

Crispy said...

We are having a wonderful summer too. I'm even enjoying the hot and humid days like today, it means rain is on the way. Our yard is still green which is really unusual as we don't waste water trying to keep it that way.

I wish I could come to your pot luck!!

Crispy

Pokey said...

It's a fun little quilt with bunches of happy colors! I sympathize with the sewing technical difficulties, I just spent the weekend struggling with my serger, razzle frazzle frustrations!!!

Sunshine said...

Hi Nanci,

where is Long Island? See, the reason I was away last week was this: canoeing the Rideau Canal. Very belatedly I thought, duh, her cottage isn't in Whitby - Maybe I paddled right by your piece of heaven?

Cheers,
Christine :)

Twisted Quilts said...

It sounds like you are having a great time. I love the little quilt you made. Many of our extended family will be at the beach week after next. I am so looking forward to being with them.

Anonymous said...

I love the scene that a quilt hanging on a railing paints... Wish I was there to enjoy that porch!