Saturday, September 25, 2010

CLOSING UP...ALMOST



When you see the cottage sparkling clean...it's time for closing up. Mary and I went through the cottage and bunkies, putting everything away, sorting through stuff and giving thorough washings of everything!

We only have the kitchen to do when we go back next week. Well Bob and Mary are coming, we are leaving for the cottage tomorrow.

There have been storms which knocked out the power for 72 hours, so I don't know how the food stuffs we left will have survived....thankfully we
have brought a lot home.

Each year we must remove our docks which
extend out onto the lake about 50 ft or more.
It's always been a monstrous job for the men to
do. We've put them at Helen's beach for the past 8 years or so, but this year we floated them to a secluded spot on the lake.

The guys found it so much easier and with Mary being the director of operations, that is, her job was just to watch the floating docks to make sure all was straight and that she could say "stop" when everything was in place, she went on the little expedition to the far side of the lake.

Bob felt like King Tut floating down the river for a while there...


In the little bay where the docks are stored the gang came upon a loon's nest. The photo shows the homemade nest made by a cottager out of pvc pipes, with a mesh nest and debris put on the top.

These nests are located a bit off shore, keeping the loons safe from predators. I'd honestly never seen one so it was very interesting to note the way it had been placed.

Then my sweetie said that there was one located close to us too! It's tucked into a small cove on our island...I do think it will be moved though as I find our end of the lake a bit rough for nesting loons. But having said that, now that I shall be agile next year, I will be able to monitor the nests and let you know if there are indeed babies in the nests.

We also saw a beaver dam on the far side of our island tucked into a secluded area although no sign of the beaver...this guy doesn't know he's supposed to live is more shallow waters. Jerry said it was about 40 ft deep where it was. Quite the ambitious little guy. This is the same beaver that has been trying to eat his way through a 40 ft oak on Helen and Derek's cottage property.. each time they come back to the cottage they see signs that he's been there working away (like a beaver) I couldn't resist that.

So next week is our last for the season...I've got my quilting boxes etc down in the basement ready for sorting. All appointments have been made for the hip surgery on the 25th October.
I don't know anyone who is more looking forward to having this done.

I dream of walking normal through Ikea no less....those of us in Canada know the commercial that says "Start the Car!" as a woman runs through Ikea not believing the prices...well that's my dream....just going through there at a good clip.

Tomorrow, the 26th is my birthday...I'm having a glass of wine to cheer me and then Karen who just had a birthday on the 24th. I know so many people that I share my day with....lots of toasts and thanks once again.






23 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I poured my glass of wine last night and thought of you too :) have a great birthday and a fun last weekend at the cottage for the year. I sure hope your surgery and recovery goes great and that you are running through IKEA in six months!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Michele said...

Happy birthday! Cheers to you!

Jocelyn said...

Happy Birthday Nanci! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Pokey said...

Happy Birthday Blessings, dear Nanci! You share the day with America's folk legend Johnny Appleseed, a birthday we celebrate in my class by playing apple games, learning apple and "Johnny" facts and making applesauce.
I do hope all goes well with your hip surgery!

Bia said...

Thank you so much for having dropped a kind comment in my blog and given me the chance to meet you. Came here, had a glimpse of your adventurous nature (Wow) and will be coming back often! Just loved to learn about a completely different way of living.

Anya said...

Happy Birthday, Nanci! Enjoy your day!

Leslie said...

have a wonderful birthday...how soon a summer seems to come to a close

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Have a fabulous birthday!

Penny said...

I just may have to have a rum for you. I will test drive it today at cocktail time, then tomorrow, your real day. Sad to batten down cottage country. Your surgery is just at the right time of year. You will be ship shape by next May. Woo-woo!
Happy Birthday Nanci.

Rose Marie said...

Have a great day tomorrow!!! Happy Birthday!

Shay said...

Happy Birthday Nanci!

How sad it's time to pack up at the cottage. I have so enjoyed hearing about your time there over the summer. I'm already looking forward to next year and living vicariously through your posts.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Nanci! What an interesting blog as I had no idea what is involved. In New Zealand you get in the car and go somewhere for a holiday. Sounds so romantic. We've had terrible storms too lately. The wind is so strong and lightning and thunder which knocked out the power and caused a few fires. I lost my power so went to a retreat early.. it wasn't far away but they had power. Can't wait to see photos of you running through Ikea. It will happen! Luv Karen from NZ

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday Nanci, it's already 26th here so you can celebrate now! Closing up for the season is always a little sad, but there's the anticipation of going back next year - when you will be jumping out of your skin with your new hip.

Quiltgal said...

Your picture of the main cottage room is so beautiful. I love the pail of flowers on that gorgeous table. Happy Birthday, isn't it Great being ah! 39. I will remember your birthday because mine is also on the 26th (but June)

Sorry about your hip surgery, but I am sure you need it or you wouldn't be doing it. I have major hip pain too, but so far just putting up with it.

When I was workin I had a boss who went through 2 hip surgeries within a year of one another and she did pretty well. Many Hugs Deb

Barb said...

I must have missed that post about your needing hip surgery, sorry.....sometimes these blogs just get away from me.

What is so fun about you packing up, is the fact that you have the cabin to look forward to next year.....

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh no it must be fall you are closing up shop! You will be running through Ikea before you know it!! Have a wonderful birthday!!

Barb H said...

Happy birthday, Nanci, from a woman who's been reading about life at your cabin all summer. It sounds like a magical place to be with your friends and family. A lot of work to close up the cabin properly but it'll be there to welcome you--with your new hip--next spring. I hope the surgery goes well.

Crispy said...

It must be sad to leave the cottage each year (and a lot of work). I've marked you surgery date on my calendar so I don't forget to check in and see how you are doing :0)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIEND!!!!

Crispy

susan@tickledpaisley said...

Happy Happy Birthday Nanci!! I sure hope that even though the cottage is closing for the summer that you will still keep us posted on your quilting (and your surgery & recovery!). My mom had her hip surgery 2 years ago and did & is still doing fantastic!

Micki said...

Happy birthday to you and good luck ith the hip surgery. Have a quick recovery and I will be thinking of you!
Micki

Sunshine said...

Happy birthday today! Good timing for reading your blog today! Good luck getting everything packed up and moved back to the winter lodgings!

Cheers,
Christine

Val - Apple Cottage said...

I'm a little late for your birthday, but hope you had a lovely day. All the very best for your surgery. Will look for you in Ikea!

imquilternity said...

Happy Birthday! My sis shares the day with you!! I'm keeping you in my thoughts regarding your surgery.