Thursday, September 30, 2010

HELLO FALL, GOODBYE COTTAGE!

Back to the cottge we came on Monday. We arrived in great weather for the only day in the past week.

Well, it was short-lived as it has rained every day since...The black-eyed susans are still so vibrant and are still standing up well to the season.

With the power outage, it paid to have an up to date fridge. We didn't lose any foods in the freezer. The fridge which had cream on the door was the part that we dumped if there was dairy stuffs.

With 72 hours of no power I did get rid of the
eggs, milk, and a few cheeses in the tubs...You
know the ones I mean. But having said that
I was amazed at how everything was actually
saved!


When autumn comes to the lake, the mornings are sometimes very misty as the lake is cooling, the weather is still warm, or the reverse happens, the air can be cooler than the lake; so we get sunrises as you see. I took this quickly as the sun burns off the mist and the moment is lost. The sun didn't last...the rain followed within the hour.

The BEAR! Well he did come back while we were gone and tore the handles from the bunker (my
name) and stole another garbage bin!



The count is bear-3, me- 0! We have not seen the bin even though we walked up the the back of the property which has power lines that are cleared for a view....no sign of the third bin...no garbage, nothing!

.
So, we've left the lights on outside at night since Monday with no sign of the bear! I think that it has moved on...and I'm pretty clear that bears come back to food sources for a long time....well no bear is around as there isn't much in the food source on this island to help a bear bulk up for the winter
sleep.

He's moved on! I'm still taking Wilson out on the leash at night as the rain has probably killed any bear scents that were there! Little hunter that he is...we paid too much money for him to have a run in with any critter! I won't call him stupid because then I get a nasty note from Sewlmate Sister harrassing me of my choice of words for describing the dog!

We are cosy as the wood burning stove is on for most of the day to just keep the humidity out of the cottage.

Four days to leaving for the year....the season is changing so quickly, the trees are in full colour which hopefully we get a chance to take shots this weekend. We will be saying goodbye to 65 plus weather to mid 40-50s.... a cold front is coming, it's time to leave.




12 comments :

Shannon said...

I am sorry it is that time of year. You sound like you really love being at your cabin. I would love it also. A bear, wow, what excitement. The view is wonderful of the lake.

Barb said...

What an adventure...and I would keep the dog on leash as well.

You do sound kinda sad to be leaving but there will be next year!

We just did without a fridge for a week, don't want to do that again but didn't lose much food either.

Twisted Quilts said...

Dogs are such a pain when it rains. We are working on our fourth day of torrential rains, streets flooded, water standing in yards. A real mess.

imquilternity said...

You sound pretty brave when it comes to that bear. Obviously, you are used to having wildlife around. lol I love the early morning mist photo...it's lovely.

Jennifer said...

The misty pic is lovely! It's sad to think of closing up the cottage, but it means that you have something to look forward to next year when you go back.

susan@tickledpaisley said...

Hi Nanci! The view of the lake is so pretty w/ the fog - I know it must be sad to close up for the season. Just think about the warm cozy fires you'll have at home during the cold weather wrapped up in one of your many gorgeous quilts!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

A slowing down time, preparing for winter. I'll miss the cottage. Take care when you are out walking at night with your doggie - bears can smell other critters and like to snack - so be cautious, even if there hasn't been any sign of a bear.

Shirley said...

I shall miss your tales and snapshots of life at the cottage and shall really look forward to when you open up for business next year. In the mean time get that hip sorted and keep us posted of what you are up to.
Love Shirley.x

Crispy said...

Oooo the lake looks so pretty!!

Yep, we have to protect our little protectors sometimes. I never could understand why a dog would get close enough to a skunk to get sprayed either, even a human can smell them a mile off LOL.

Crispy

Penny said...

Oh Nanci! Your last couple of paragraphs were so dramatic. I was fully expecting the stage to rotate and the next scene to be back in the city!!
Perhaps the bears have moved the garbage to their winter dens. A feast for when they wake up during the winter and they are hungry.!!

My birds eye view of Ottawa from 18 floors up is looking vibrantly orange, red and yellow. I love this part of the year, but I have to take a big breath to think about knuckling down for the winter. I wish I was a bear with scraps from Nanci's bins to fill my tummy so I could by pass winter and wake up when the folks come back to the cottage only fill their bins again.

Shay said...

That bear sounds smarter than the average bear to me....

I look forward to next summer and your cottage tales. I'm sad youre leaving too because youve painted such vivid pictures of how lovely it is there.

Kelly said...

No bear stew? I cannot believe he busted into Fort Jerry!!